Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 08:20PM

An RfM poster made that response to the following post/thread:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,399571,399571#msg-399571

I asked the poster a question ("Why is it funny that 'atheists are going to hell?'") and received no response.

So, I will ask again, breaking the question down into two parts:

1. Do you really think that anyone who holds the mistaken belief (from the theistic/Christian point of view) that there is no God, will spend eternity suffering in torment?

2. Is this really funny to you--or were you "LOL" at something else?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 08:22PM by Fetal Deity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 08:27PM

That person is a evangelical troll, who for all I can tell has never been a member of the church, nor was he ever an investigator.

I don't mind people coming here to learn the truth about Mormonism. I don't mind those same people commenting from time to time, but I do not appreciate someone who has not suffered the same pain that we have gone through telling us that our problem is that a different religion did not victimize us.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 09:12PM

Your Mom's going to hell!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 09:17PM

I'm normally pretty good at chasing off trolls, but the rules of our forum doesn't allow me to use my usual box of tools.

Date: January 26, 2012 01:24AM

See:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,396275,396275#msg-396275

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,394392,396239#msg-396239

And they've been permitted to post almost 200 times over the past few months. I think posts like the one this thread is concerned with certainly cross the line ... but of course it's up to admin to make the authoritative decision.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 01:20PM

I think Susan would rather we over-report than not report.

I've reported a few posts that I wasn't sure of but felt Susan and/or Erik should at least be aware of. It always makes me feel better to leave it in their hands. :)

Date: January 26, 2012 07:20PM

I've only reported one post so far--it was SO over the line with hateful, bizarre name calling that I saw no alternative.

The reason I didn't want this particular post removed is that I wanted this poster's (who is a regular participant here) disturbing viewpoint to be exposed--that apparently they think the eternal suffering of atheists would somehow be humorous. I thought many on this board would like this information.

Thanks for your post!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 09:20PM

There's a perfect reason why evangelists annoy and revolt me. Not a very Christlike attitude, if you ask me, especially to laugh about such a cruel and vicious punishment.

Even if there was a god, how do they know he/she/it would send someone to hell? Is that person the official spokesperson for god? They sure f-cking act like it a good part of the time.

When I was a pagan, I had a much better response- I usually retorted with, "And I'm sure you'll end up as a dung beetle in your next life, a-hole." One of my witchy friends like to retort with, "It's YOUR hell. YOU burn in it."

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 09:20PM

Regardless of the troll's intentions, the statement that athiests are going to hell is actually pretty funny. Kind of in the same vein as "Christopher Hitchens to be sanctified".

Date: January 25, 2012 11:37PM

if it's being expressed facetiously. And that is what I kind of thought when I first read it. However, after looking over some of this poster's previous posts, it looked like maybe this statement wasn't intended to be a joke. And with the "LOL" it appears that the poster was actually expressing a quite sadistic attitude. VERY disturbing!

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 11:40PM

Yeah, the evangelist "notmo" has been called out repeatedly to back up his/her assertions and has remained silent.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 01:49AM

I think it's even funnier if the troll meant it seriously.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 09:23PM

I think that sincere Christians do not find it funny at all. Non believers may not share the Christian belief but I think the effort in time and money to promote the message of salvation is an indication of how seriously they take the issue.

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: January 25, 2012 11:43PM

There is a complete RFM To Server Troll cookbook, I will try and find it and post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 11:56PM by Bal.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 01:28AM

"It's YOUR hell ! YOU go there !"

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 10:24AM

Exactly! I'm suspicious of people who seem so well acquainted with hell and it's requirements.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 01:39AM

"This is a survey of opinions on metaphysical beings. It will take only a minute to complete the survey. To thank you for participating in the survey you will receive an all-expense cruise to Hell, a small gratuity (of soul) will be required. To participate in the survey press "1" now. To have your number removed from our database press "9" now."

Posted by: Nobody, the External God Father ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 10:29AM

To hell with everybody that doesn't want to play with me!

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 01:27PM

By their own stupid rules, pretending to know the mind of God or speak for God constitutes blasphemy.

And that's actually spelled out as a serious offense in the bible. Atheism is NOT.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 01:35PM

How would they know? Do they get a personal e-mail from satan himself, with a list of who's next?
I suppose he would tell us he's going to heaven. What makes him so sure?
These are people who are enmeshed in a fantasy that they read about. They have a lot of club meetings to make sure they are all on the same page. For some reason they think they know the final outcome of everyone on the planet. They must really think they are all that. I feel a little sad for people who live in a state of such crazy twisted thinking.
Even if I am going to hell, I don't think its his business. He's picked the wrong forum if he wants new members for his club. He's venting to the wrong people. I am getting a pretty good laugh out of it though. Just another silly buffoon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.