Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 11:13AM

I woke up this morning thinking of this year's Young Women's theme which is "Let your light so shine - Be a light unto the world." For some reason, this is really bugging me. Maybe it's the arrogance of presuming to need to be a good example for all the heathens in the world. Or maybe it's because I know what people really think of Mormons. I've tried to come up with a comparison to give Mormons a better idea of how their "light" is received by outsiders and the Vegas Showgirl example is today's attempt.

Let me give you some examples of how this works. Showgirls have a very different dress code, as do Mormons, so they stand out in a crowd. Showgirls strive to be identical - one size fits all - both in appearance and in their dancing. Mormons all try to fit into a Mormon mold as well. Both groups are all about projecting perfection and image. Many Showgirls are probably very nice people, much like many Mormons. But both have a fake, plastic sort of beauty.

Relatively few people aspire to be Vegas Showgirls. Some do but some people want to be Mormons as well. But the majority don't. A lot of Mormons wouldn't deign to hang out with Showgirls because their lifestyle wouldn't agree with them. They aren't impressed with their morals and standards. Mormons certainly don't look to Showgirls to be a light unto the world. They may think individual Showgirls are nice but aren't impressed by them enough, overall, to look to them as an example.

Much like the world views Mormons.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2012 11:17AM by CA girl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 11:19AM

I personally would love to make friends with many of those wonderful and light bringing showgirls. Anyone who works so hard for the simple sake of bringing happiness to others, even if it is just for a little while, is so much more heroic and worthy of admiration, in my book, then all the mishies in the world.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 11:19AM

It's about having them act as billboards for the morg agenda.

Yes, like LV showgirls who stand out and show off to attract crowds and their money.

Date: January 26, 2012 12:10PM

Good point, Cheryl. I hate how the Morg hijacks and claims the accomplishment of it's members. Which leads people to say "I wouldn't be anything without the church." Right. The church wouldn't be anything without the members whose accomplishments they take credit for.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 12:27PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's about having them act as billboards for the
> morg agenda.

Jesus wants me for a billboard
To sell the church each day
Sanitized, perfect and plastic
And not a hair astray

A billboard, a billboard
Jesus wants me for a billboard
A billboard, a billboard
I'll be a billboard for him

My inner light doesn't matter
It's vain to shine for me
I'm here to show all the sinners
How righteous they can be

Example, example
I'll be a shining example
Example, example
Why are they ignoring me?

Date: January 26, 2012 12:32PM

Unfortunately, it might take all day to purge the sundbeam tune from my head. Still, it's worth it.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 12:50PM

Be perfect, plastic, little darlings, conforming to someone else's hideous cartoon standards of beauty and charm -- in order to make Mommy happy.

Date: January 26, 2012 01:24PM

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 04:31PM

Ok. So now I get to hum the tune for the rest of the day. I'll replace Sponge Bob's "Musical Doodle" ...RRRound and round the record Spins all day..."

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 11:20AM

Except I've always been too short. I think you have to be at least 5'6".

I like the fabulous costumes, what can I say? :) And the movie is hysterical.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 02:21PM

I'LL be the judge of whether or not you could be one.

And shorter women rock.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 12:43PM

Except one thing-
People like to look at Showgirls.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 01:02PM

why does an image of MR appear when you mention the attributes of Showgirls?

'plastic' 'perfect appearance' 'pleasure for a short period'

and mine:

artificial, contrived

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 01:15PM

I hated it when they dumped that crap on the kids. Most kids have a lot more important things to think about than what others are thinking of them. For people who don't like to be the center of attention their attempt to try and force everyone to stand out is torture. It's another one size fits all program.
It's also implies that you are always being watched. That is a nasty fear and control tactic. It drives some kids underground where they are alone and have to try and figure everything out for themselves. That's a bad situation.
If you are like I was in my teen years, they didn't approve of my "light". Your light must be church approved light. Being creative was considered a sin, not a talent. I still think its that way. They want to set the perimeters of what is acceptable creativity.
IMO it is impossible to let your light shine unless you have good self esteem. They don't want people with good self esteem. You can't control people who are happy and secure with themselves. Very few people have church approved lights. I would not be surprised if the young women's lessons are directed more toward how to have a fake light. Or how to manipulate people to think you have light. Not how to have the genuine real deal.
When I was a teen the light would have been defined by the length of your skirt, how you wore make up, if you were a good speaker, how much money your parents had,the color of your skin, being compliant to leaders, if you had no ambitions outside of being married and a sahm. Nothing that showcased who you really were.

Date: January 26, 2012 04:56PM

That is such a good point, Mia:

"Your light must be a church-approved light".

I didn't even think about that but it's so true. It's not about showing off or thinking you are better than people...it's also about jumping through Mormon hoops.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 01:19PM

Play off your individual strengths to MAKE IT RAIN!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 02:19PM

It rained for three days and nights where I live. I willed it to be sunny. Today, it is! happy!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 02:34PM

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 07:28PM

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 06:03PM

>this year's Young Women's theme which is "Let your light so shine - Be a light unto the world." <

So they have reanimated that old phrase. I remember it from my childhood, and I am drawing retirement now.

Posted by: Horsefeathers ( )
Date: January 26, 2012 10:51PM

Wow, that's a juxtaposition that'd never occur to me.

We saw a showgirl review in Vegas last week while we were there for a trade convention, and I never once thought of the corporation while we were watching the girls do their thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.