Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 11:18AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 12:36PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 12:40PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 04:10PM

It was written by Richard Dawkins.

>It is one thing to know that these faith-heads are wrong. My mistake has been naively to think I can remove their delusion simply by talking to them in a quiet, sensible voice and laying out the evidence, clear for all to see. It isn’t as easy as that. Before we can talk to them, we must struggle to understand them; struggle to enter their seized minds and empathize. What is it really like to be so indoctrinated that you can honestly and sincerely believe obvious nonsense—believe it with every fiber of your being?

Even though most of us here were once believing Mormons, we still often make the mistake Dawkins does -- thinking we can just explain our TBM family and friends out of the church. I think we understand TBMs, but I'm guessing we forget the empathy part. Why would they want to believe the absurdities of Mormonism? What do they get out of it? What do they believe they'd lose? And why does OUR version of things look just as absurd to them?

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 07:38PM

is the interviews John Dehlin does with Mormon appologists.

To listen to the mental knots they tie themselves up in, over troubling aspects of mormon doctrine & history....it's painful and almost funny if it were not so tragic.

I listened to one guy explain how the word "skin" in the Book of Mormon doesn't really mean skin, as in the organ that covers our bodies. In the BOM, "skin" means countenance or visage. So God didn't really change the color of the Lamanite skin as a curse, their countenance darkened when they embraced the dark side.

WTF?

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 04:10PM

It's so plain that you simply can't take it at face value and somehow that makes it even more plain and prescious....right?

Posted by: Davo ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 07:48PM

Article of Faith # 2 should play into the curse thing, wherein it says that men will be "punished for their own sins and not for Adam's [Cain's--or anyone else's] transgression."

Most "prophets" since BY taught that "skin color" WAS the curse. My admittedly lightweight study on the matter reveals to me that NONE of them taught that it was refering to an individual's "dark" or blighted personality.

They are desperate to make something of it OTHER THAN racism.
(Why else would they give a rat's a** about changing "white" to "pure" in the BoM?)

Posted by: tammy ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 09:16PM

That was the best video I have seen in a long time! And in under 2 minutes! Thank you and BRAVO to Dan Barker!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.