Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: heftmyplates ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 08:24PM

Has anyone figured out how many golden plates it would have taken to have the entire BoM engraved as well as the portions not translated because of the stolen manuscript? Unless reformed egyptian is written in very tight shorthand, it seems like it would have taken too many plates to have been carried around by Moroni or Joey. Or do they just say the real text was in the rocks in the hat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 08:28PM

No no no. See... when Joseph Smith said "golden plates" he REALLY meant "goldish-looking really thin/light paper stuff made by god".

When he said "horse" he meant "tapir."

When he said "no polygamy" he meant "give me your wife."

When he said "nephi visited me" he meant "moroni visited me."

When he said "oh lord my g-.." he meant "holy shit!"

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 11:39PM

You forgot:

"Chariot" means "backpack"

Yep Ammon, right after cutting off a dozen or so arms with his light saber er steel sword er i mean macuahuitl, he saw to the King's tapirs in the stable and got the backpacks all situated.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 08:30PM

The entire book (and other fake books) were inside of the rocks in JSs head. Why did Egyptian need to be reformed anyway? Was it naughty as a language?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 08:31PM by enoughenoch19.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 11:30PM

While I was in Utah for business last week, i stopped by the super evil LIGHTHOUSE MINISTRY bookstore for fun. They have a replica set of plates there made from tin to the actual reported dimensions of the BOM. Tin is lighter than gold. They are so heavy you can't believe it. I could slide but not pick them up.

Oh course Joseph was He-Man so it was no problem at all for him to run a couple miles with the servants of satan chasing him. Sides those servants are stupid and slow--kinda like the ones in Time Bandits. Zork, i'm think its finally time to destroy you. Oh, thank you master, thank you!

Posted by: Denial C. Peterson ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 03:32PM

I have it on excellent authority--never having darkened the door of that evil place myself--that the plates in the Tanner facility are made of lead, not tin.

Posted by: mre ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 05:13PM

You are correct. They are lead - still lighter than gold though.

Size of the plates (wikipedia... sue me, in inches): 7x8x4 = 224 in^3

Density of gold (lb/in^3): .698

Weight of golden plates: 224x.698 = 156.4 lbs (give or take).

The lead ones that are in the bookstore weigh about 92 lbs (density of lead is about .41 lb/in^3).

You'd be hard-pressed to carry either of them around any distance, not to mention several miles while running.

If it was tin, they'd weigh about 59 lbs. Still pretty difficult to pick up (not to mention run around with).

This is, of course, assuming that all space is used up.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 06:52PM

According to Bushman in "Rough Stone Rolling," on page 60, he quotes Martin Harris who estimated the plates only weighed 40 or 50 pounds and Joseph had carried them three miles.

ROTFLMAO

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 27, 2012 11:37PM

All those that claimed to have seen and hefted them with their "spiritual eye" - could not agree on their size or shape. Nobody weighed them or measured them, I guess! There are several different people who claimed to have seen them and none of them agree. I have a book put out by the LDS Church that I can't get to right now, that has all of their quotes on their sizes and shapes.

It's clear JS made something that was kept in what would be a pillow case -- Emma said she dusted around it.

Here are some quotes ...http://www.mormonfortress.com/gweight.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 11:38PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 01:04AM

Could be saucers, could be dinner plates. Depends on how much bullshit you can stomach.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 12:50PM

I read somewhere that if they were gold,,and the size Joe said they would weigh aprox 200 lbs. And he picked them up and ran with them..

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 03:46PM

the weight of the top plates would have pressed the engraving right out of the bottom plates.

I think the largest known engraved metal plates numbered a set of six.

And Smith claims he had to run with them to elude 'bad men'. Why would bad men follow him if he hadn't even started a church yet or translated the plates? He was nobody back then.

Posted by: Top Cat ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 03:09PM

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 03:22PM

If he hadn't blabbed that were gold the bad guys wouldn't have wanted them, but they weren't gold, so why would the bad want them, unless they they thought they were gold, unless Joe let it out that they were gold, which they weren't, because...so....uh...my heads hurts, can I go lie down?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.