Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 04:44PM

I've been wondering how many ex-mo's have studied Astrology since leaving the church? I remember it was a hot topic among my church leaders. They believed that star signs were things of the devil. I always felt the opposite. It wasn't a big deal to me and I didn't see the harm in it. I think my sign suits me perfectly and the signs of my family fit them. I don't set too much by Astrology but I do study it as a hobby here and there along with other things.

*Edited to clarify.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2012 05:08PM by fetching49.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 04:48PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 06:25PM

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 04:51PM

How can it be more accurate then anything JS wrote? JS was an astrology. He even died with an astrology tool in his pocket.

I personally don't go for astrology, but if you feel like you need to believe in something magical it is probably less harmful then the morg. Just don't let anyone use it as an excuse to somehow take advantage of you, like in asking for a lot of money to predict your future. You lost too much to the Morg's magic believers already.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 04:52PM

No.

But I really like astronomy.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 04:56PM

I'm supposed to be a Capricorn, but I couldn't possibly be more opposite from what it says I should be, so it lost credibility for me right from when I was a kid. So I've never given it much consideration.

Date: January 28, 2012 04:57PM

Dave I tried the chicken entrails. Big mess. All over. DH banned me from playing with sharp objects around poultry until further notice. :(

I was totally kidding about the accuracy thing! I know JS and his astrology very well. I never pay for anything. I just read books here and there. No fortunes, no horoscopes, just exploring everything that was "taboo" as a TBM. I also read about other religions.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 05:00PM

Let me clarify. If you are just playing around with it, reading your fortune out of the paper and so on, then there is nothing wrong with a little fun.

It's just that some people take things a little too far.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 05:01PM

Just another form of trying to predict and control your life and future. The anthropologists call it superstition.

I prefer to think I'm in control of my own destiny, not some conjunction or movement of stars and planets. I have a friend who bought a house based on her astrological chart and she sorely regrets it now as she's stuck and can't sell it.

Just as an experiment, pretend you're a different sign and follow it for awhile and see how well it applies to you. They're all that way, totally generic. And I like the way they never say a person is evil and dishonest etc., it's always flattering stuff, like see, I'm an Aquarius, man, and we're the visionary thinkers (I am an Aquarius, BTW) - also check out precession and see how that works.

Just another hopeless attempt to get out of being self-responsible, IMO.

Date: January 28, 2012 05:06PM

forbiddencokedrinker~ It's a good warning. Losing everything you held as a belief system can be scary and it can leave a person in a very gullible and vulnerable position.

Posted by: Grey Matter ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 05:16PM

"This is the excellent foppery of the world, that, when we are sick in fortune,--often the surfeit of our own behavior, we make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars: as if we were villains by necessity; fools by heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves, and treachers, by spherical predominance; drunkards, liars, and adulterers, by an enforced obedience of planetary influence; and all that we are evil in, by a divine thrusting on: an admirable evasion of whoremaster man, to lay his goatish disposition to the charge of a star!"

- William Shakespeare, King Lear, 1.2.132

Another favourite, not Shakespeare:

"The constellation Leo the Lion is supposed to cause some people to act like a lion: proud, kingly, as one in authority. What if the ancients had named that group of stars Lulu the Lamb? Would those stars then make people timid?"

Source: Terry Moyer, New Era, 1979

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 05:17PM

Aries Mar 21 - Apr 19
Your death next week will seem in­explicable until people remember the ill-advised 1985 "cross your heart and hope to die" pledge you made to be best friends with Jenny Bosben.

Taurus Apr 20 - May 20
Your fear of pubic speaking won't be helped by your habit of saying things that make large groups of people want to attack you.

Gemini May 21 - Jun 21
The appearance of a tall dark stranger in your life will lead to a time of mystery and intrigue as you and he discuss the real meanings of the words "dark," "stranger," and even "tall."

Cancer Jun 22 - Jul 22
Love has always meant different things to different people, but for God's sake, at no point in human history has it ever meant that.

Leo Jul 23 - Aug 22
It is written that you will wield a sword of light and unite the world under your wise and compassionate rule, but hey, when you get right down to it, lots of shit has been written.

Virgo Aug 23 - Sep 22
When you said no one could understand the way you felt, you were ignoring the many generations before you who also had late-night cravings for Little Debbies.

Libra Sep 23 - Oct 23
Mercury rising in your sign means you'll do exactly what you want to at any given moment, just like you always do, you flighty bastard.

Scorpio Oct 24 - Nov 21
This is a terrible time to start new phases of your life, especially those that involve eating whole frozen Pepperidge Farm chocolate cakes before they even have time to defrost.

Sagittarius Nov 22 - Dec 21
Due to unusual and convoluted circumstances too involved to go into here, you'll spend the next three years imprisoned in an aging 1960s girl group.

Capricorn Dec 22 - Jan 19
Your heart, at least, will be in the right place next week when you attempt to overcome your fear of commitment by marrying everyone you know.

Aquarius Jan 20 - Feb 18
Beware: Time is running out to order Girl Scout cookies from Hazel so that she can earn the stuffed penguin—and already, Thin Mints may be unavailable.

Pisces Feb 19 - Mar 20
Though you've been trying to find yourself for decades, you'll be dis­appointed to tears when you find yourself living in Flagstaff and working at a screen-door factory.

Date: January 28, 2012 05:30PM

HAHAHA!!!

Date: January 28, 2012 05:34PM

ROFL. From now on Dave I'm hiring you as my personal astrologer. I hope you include daily e-mail updates & text messages about my single love life despite the fact that I'm already taken and I've already checked the box indicating such.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 05:39PM

I'm a libra. You hit the nail on the head.

After learning all about Joe's obsession with astrology, I wondered why they didn't teach that instead of gospel doctrine. Or is astrology only for the prophet, so he can prophesy to the little people who wouldn't understand all those charts, graphs, and funny rocks?

Posted by: mormonimposter (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 05:44PM

I love astrology and tarot card reading! It's not something I believe in like a religion, it's more of a for-fun thing. I have a friend who recently got into tarot and he loves giving readings to everyone, even to the waitresses at Denny's...somehow, he always manages to know just enough about their situation to shock them, and we always get free beverages.

As long as you're not paying anything for it, it's a fun thing to do every once in awhile, and it helps give you a different perspective on your issues and yourself.

Regardless of if it's all legit or totally fake or somewhere inbetween, it's a lot less harmful to most people than certain religions *cough cough*

Date: January 28, 2012 05:50PM

How do you know it's so harmless to those he's doing readings for? They may consider it news from the cosmos and live accordingly, maybe to their own detriment.

I don't think encouraging people to be superstitious is harmless. Just like I don't think religion is harmless.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 01:25AM

Seriously, it's not hard to amaze people with how "accurate" it is when you generalize things like "You've been going through some changes lately." (If you're alive you're going to go through changes.) or "You are struggling with some decisions." (Hello?)

Really, it's mostly psychology, gullibility and people making your words fit their circumstances.

But Dave, I'll sign up for YOUR horiscope readings too. I laughed so hard I cried.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 03:27AM

She did the star charts and calculations and all that stuff. She told me very seriously that I could live in total harmony with a Cancer but that I should avoid Sagittarii like the plague.

Well, my first marriage, to a Cancer, was a disaster. I've been happily married to a Sagittarius quite happily for 20 years now.

So much for astrology.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 05:57PM

I think it's bullshit now, but a fun party game. I like perusing through those books that state what your personality is and your best matches are depending on the day/week/month/hour you were born for amusement.

The ones that are supposed to be my matches ended badly and the worst of my matches is just fine.

Really, it's all bullshit.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 28, 2012 06:09PM

Weird Al's "Horoscope for Today."

You can google/Youtube it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.