Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 10:29AM

I'm reading In Sacred Loneliness and in the introduction it talks about boys in the earlier days of the church who were sealed to fathers (not necessarily their own) in the temple and they started using their father's last name. I've never heard this before..from the way he describes the belief system at the time all relationships on Earth were moot because they were predestined in the preexistance but got mixed up on Earth--women marrying the wrong men, etc..so if Joseph came out and said to a woman we were kindred spirits in the spirit world before Earth life, they could be spiritually sealed to him--thus the reason for the polyandry--this doesn't mean he didn't have sex with them, as there is proof he did however. Apparently though if boys were getting resealed to fathers not their own, whole families were confused on Earth. This is so strange to me, I was BIC and never heard this..anyone else have any insight? The time and all eternity makes more sense in reading this now too--a woman could be married for time to her husband but for eternity to Joseph. There seemed to be this whole who has the biggest eternal family until polygamy was dropped, Compton's theory is that in the Bible it says they are not given or taken in marriage so he thinks Joseph interpreted that as saying you must marry on Earth to take your spouse with you to heaven..the reason for the temple sealings..I just didn't realize other family members were involved too (the sons). The whole temple ceremony is making a lot more sense to me now..I thought it was really only for the plural marriages, but the sealings are for other family members too..I wonder when they stopped the sealing for other family members for BIC families..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 03:12PM

I think you may be referring to an earlier concept of Families being sealed to other Families, such as John D Lee was the adopted "son" of Brigham Young.
The idea was to have a position of importance by family in the life in the Celestial Kingdom.
There is a bunch of info about this early practice on line.

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 03:21PM

Yes! Where online?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 03:15PM

According to what a GA told me, my children are sealed to my first husband whom I had no children with.
My kids have never met this guy, and know nothing about him, other than I was once married to him for 22 months.
Lucky me, that whole thing is total BS.

Posted by: Chicken'n'Backpacks ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 03:17PM

An absolute ruler can do pretty much whatever he wants--and say it's "from God..."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.