Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 12:35PM

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but back in the day, I got called to be the Beehives secretary or something dumb like that, and I had to do a bishop interview and get the blessing and everything and I wasn't even baptized!! I said yes because I just didn't really think anything of it and I never ended up actually doing anything for it but looking back, it just seems weird that they would ask me to do it?? Were they dumb enough to not even realize I wasn't baptized? I was forced to attend by my TBM mother every Sunday since birth and I was always at Wednesday night activities and all my other siblings were baptized so was it possible that they thought I was too?? My family was the total outcast family of my ward, and it was kind of a large ward, so I didn't even know my bishop knew who I was. That was the first and only bishop interview I ever had...I didn't have one when I first got into Young Women's...I don't know, it was so weird. Do you think they knew I wasn't baptized and made up some stupid fake calling to make me feel included in hopes that I would get baptized?? Weird.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 12:39PM by ajhart.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 01:01PM

And no, you don't have to be a member to get a calling, especially if it's a made-up one.

Bishops have broad discretion when it comes to callings. Many will make up useless jobs or gives inactives or attending non-members low level callings to keep them around and interested.

I've heard people from BYU student wards grumble about being "second assistant Relief Society flower coordinators".

And yes, they would have gone through the whole bishop's interview and setting-apart rigamarole, because it's part of the holy process.

If you were not baptized, I'm sure the ward leadership knew that quite well. Your church records would either not exist, or would have been created as "child of record" and flagged as soon as you turned nine without being baptized. The membership secretary would have brought this to the attention of the bishop, and the matter would have been discussed in ward council.

CZ

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 01:10PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 01:23PM

Yes. There are several. I used to know what they were, but don't recall now.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 01:24PM

My mother was relief society pres. 4 years before she was baptised

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 01:24PM

A number of people on RfM have posted that either they (as non-members) or their Nevermo spouse was given a calling. The purpose is to hook you further into the church so you will join and start forking money over to the LDS corporation.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 01:29PM

and you're willing to follow the rules, and there aren't any priesthood or temple recommend prerequisites. The ones I remember were usually the socially-oriented, fellowship types. And, yes, I remember nomos going through youth interviews and such like the rest of us... but I can make no claims as to their depth or intent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 01:30PM by jpt.

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 01:44PM

Wow I had no idea it was so common!! That's incredibly messed up. Thanks for all your replies!! It feels like I learn something new and creepy about TSCC every day haha

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 01:53PM

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 04:11PM

I've seen non-lds scout leaders in my ward, culled from part-member families whose sons are in the young men's program. Being a scout leader doesn't require the priesthood.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.