Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 12:56PM

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/28/my-faith-what-people-talk-about-before-they-die/?hpt=hp_c2

Guess what -- it's seldom about God or religion. It's usually about family and love (or lack thereof).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tango-1 ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 01:34PM

"We don't learn the meaning of our lives by discussing it. It's not to be found in books or lecture halls or even churches or synagogues or mosques. It's discovered through these actions of love"

YESS!!!

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 01:50PM

Recently, I was with a loved one facing a terminal illness. It appeared a crisis would speed up their death. One of those 50/50 emergency surgical things. Actually, more like, "you will be lucky to make it through this" from the doc. Very frank discussion, not a lot of hope. Get things in order in 10 minutes! A lot of tears, fears, and this person at one point, looked into ministry as a career option.

I went through this. Did said person pray? Ask for clergy? Mention a God at all? The hospital asked if they wished to speak to a chaplin. "No thanks".

Mutt, *You could have knocked me over with a feather*.

What happened? Instructions for me, for remains, property issues. Lots of love words toward me, thank you's for my role in their life. Most surprising to me was their not even wishing to make a call to their children, parent, nor siblings.

Luckily, survived to face this ordeal another day. I totally understand that process she speaks of.

Posted by: newme ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 02:06PM

Interesting article. It made me think how TBMs think that they are the ONLY people who value family. They think everybody else has weak family values, puts family lower on the priority list, and generally have broken and sad families since they are not centered around Jesus and the church teachings. After I left I was so pleasantly surprised that nothing could be further from the truth. Without religion, EVERYTHING is about love and family. It is so much more genuine without religion.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 02:20PM

The church talks about family, then interferes with it.
The church brought violence, deception, and abandonment into my family. I was determined to not let that happen with my own children. I was not viewed as a good strong member because I always put my husband and children before anything to do with church. I have a relationship with my kids that is completely foreign to my parents.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 02:40PM

They just say "oh wow...oh wow".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.