Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 08:34PM

Oh my fucking goodness!!!!!!!! I know TSCC loves to shove the idea of a woman is only good enough to remain vurtuous long enough to snatch a poor RM sucker, get married, then pop out babies down females' throats. This is especially pushed heavily in Young Women's. One ward went so far as to put on this fucked up pathetic cheesy shitass event complete with women modeling temple-worthy wedding dresses:

http://myplaceforywstuff.blogspot.com/2010/11/young-women-in-excellence-2010.html

If that isn't bad enough, you gotta check out the ten-minute fucked up cheesy video, too! The very first dress was made in 1975-76 for only seven dollars. It sure looks like fucking S.HIT! And I love this sappy nails-scrapping-a-chalboard desciption of how the young women appeared as they modeled these brain-washing white outfits: "The young women looked so beautiful in the dresses! They each had a happy glow about them as if they could really see themselves going to the temple someday and feeling as special as they really are!" BARF!!!

You can see a photo of four young girls dressed like flower girls singing "I Love to See the Temple" (OMFG talk about TSCC BRAINWASHING!!!!!!!). Oh wow for refreshments there was cake, lemon water and . . . WEDDING MINTS! An old man and younger woman sang a duet and the blogger wrote, "It brought many tears to the faces in the audience - especially the mothers!"

Then to top it off, each girl was given a handkerchief dress tutorial complete with a poem. And each of these were on hangers, too.

Can someone please get me a HUGE barfing bucket? OH MY FUCKING GOODNESS!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fetching49 ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 08:37PM

This is a pretty popular YW activity unfortunately. Every ward I have been too has something like this going on. The ward I converted into did this as a stake activity. One year we even made our own flowers a few weeks ahead of time and they brought in a professional wedding planner to tell us all about our "special day" being photographed outside the temple.

Posted by: random person ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 08:49PM

Reminds me of this mormon woman I know...she bought her temple-worthy wedding dress (while "supporting" her friend who was wedding dress shopping for real) before she even met the man she eventually married after being together for 4 months...after being engaged to the guy's brother...

I hate this culture.

Posted by: boiseguy ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 08:49PM

Every single one of those dresses look like dog $hit I wouldn't even try to pawn them off on drag queens as scrap cloth. Super barf.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 08:51PM by boiseguy.

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 09:04PM

Hahaha I totally remember getting the handkerchief dress thing...I definitely tossed it as soon as I got home...ours weren't as nice though, they were made out of toilet paper or something.

I like the anonymous comments:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 09:06PM by ajhart.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 09:25PM

This makes me sick.
They are setting these girls up for failure.
Telling them their self worth depends on someone else they may or may not know in the future.
The mothers are so sick they don't see the problem.
My heart breaks for these kids.

Posted by: a-no-nfor-sure ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 08:17PM

Word.
Why not have a college graduation outfit fashion show?
Or a career themed fashion show?

Ld$inc. is setting these girls up for failure.
One minute they are encouraged to get en education,
the next minute, they are told that in motherhood lies their only worth.
The girls are expected to switch off their brains,
marry the 1st rm that comes along after high school graduation,
and pop out future tithepayers, THE END.

So much good could be done
with the money in ld$inc's coffers.
But will it EVER be used for the benefit
of the members, especially the tbm women and girls?
Nope. Never gonna happen.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 09:51PM

I had to comment - it's one of the few times my Mormon background comes in useful. I can sound like a disapproving TBM, which is worse than a disapproving stranger.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 09:56PM

I found this photo very disturbing:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AVg9CabMOI8/TOLLbgCSD2I/AAAAAAAAKck/7BvRi6fsLT4/s1600/DSCN6244.JPG

She is very cute - nothing against her personally.

But she looks very young to me and seeing an obvious GIRL dressed in a dress that signals "ok, it's now ok to have sex" (according to the morg) creeps me right out. Child bride and all that... ugg.

Posted by: HooeyMinns ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 10:17PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 10:38PM

It makes you think the words they don't want associated with them: Child Bride.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 10:44PM

the one that brought tears to the faces in the audience (especially the mother's):

"The Men in My Little Girl's Life."

Okay. The lyrics I found for that title are about various boys and men who come around looking for a play friend and eventually a wife. Cue the Twilight Zone theme....

The title alone, considering mormonism's fundamentalist doctrine, is just, well, weird.

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 10:47PM

All the new comments are incredible. Well done RFM!!!!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 10:51PM

I don't really see anything wrong with this so long as they also have nights emphasizing things such as careers, education, self worth, individuality and practical things like, maybe, how to change a tire or fix a leaky faucet. I am betting they don't. The problems is that getting married is what everyone is supposed to do and do early. One size does not fit all. I made a couple of comments on the blog saying just this. Dressing up in wedding dresses could be fun, but it should be presented as one thing a girl can do and do when she is ready.If it isn't for her, that should be fine too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 10:55PM by bona dea.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 10:55PM

When did they start doing this? I don't remember it in the 70s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 11:12PM by dr5.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 11:09PM

Boy, they aren't a cult are they?!

All I could think is, MORMON POLYGAMY!

BTW, are all those comments at the end from you guys?

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 11:36PM

I tried to post the comment:

Where are their green aprons?

but the thread seems to be locked to visitors now.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 11:39PM

Yeah they've heard enough truth for one day. They are probably in a panic the girls are going to read what we had to say. We got out 2 cents in. Somebody didn't like that.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 01:09PM

Bwaa haa haa. Can't stand the truth, eh?

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 12:18AM

This has that same Je ne sais quoi that all TBM funcions have, that certain saccharine gag quality that makes me think of how happy I am that I no longer have to be in that fake plastic pathetic culture. It's so damn special, isn't it? NOT
I am so happy that people here do not serve those awful wedding mints like they are something wonderful. They are actually the mark of a cheap skate wedding.......no thanks!

For Lily - they wear the green aprons in the actual temple ceremony. Everyone in the temple wears the same thing no matter the specific action taking place. This consists of garmies and "temple clothes," which include the green aprons, special hats, special slippers, etc. Everything is white except for the aprons.
These dresses in this "fashion show" are for the reception. The bride is allowed to leave the temple in the gown and have pictures taken all around the outside of the temple in this gown.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 12:32AM by enoughenoch19.

Posted by: yin ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 12:46PM

Ha ha, yeah, but how many of those girls will be shocked when they get to their wedding in the temple and have to wear their damn green aprons? I know lots of brides who were horrified.

Posted by: Laban's Head forgot her password ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 12:53AM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 12:59AM

None of us can get in anymore. I gurss they only wanted faithful comments praising this great activity. I added two comments before it was closed and none of the dissenting comments with possibly one or two exceptions were rude. The worst comment made a reference to Warren Jeffs and a couple commented on the ugly dresses.They were pretty mild. The others were not rude in anyone's book and there was no reason to be so defensive.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 01:20AM

CA Girl, share what you wrote. I got in earlier and was able to see it and some of the comments. Most of the comments were negative.

Posted by: yin ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 12:45PM

Poor girls should have leaders who direct them to focus on being CHILDREN and TEENAGERS, not ADULTS. God, isn't childhood short and fleeting enough without pressure to worry about adult decisions at age twelve?

I want to tell those girls to rip off those dresses, go, run, climb trees, read books, have sleepovers, eat as many cookies as you want, enjoy your youth without worrying about your grown-up life!

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 01:15PM

So do they also have a class on how to throw away every dream or aspiration you may have?

Do they also teach the YW about a lifetime of depression, trying to act happy when you're dying inside, and unattainable goals of perfection?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 01:43PM

One time the YW "activity" was dressing up the young girls in a wedding dress (appropriately clothespinned in back) and having their picture taken with the temple in the background.

This was supposed to make them long for a temple wedding. This is just one of the creepy things that turned my daughter totally off on the Morg.

Notice how the whole point is to marry the Temple. It's not just marrying IN the temple, it's marrying the temple itself.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 02:05PM

This is one of the main reasons I left. As a TBM YW pres I had awful cog dis that would literally keep me awake at night. Eventually I was released because a super rabid TBM mother of one of my girls said she didn't approve of the "progressive" way I ran YW and the influence I was having on her daughters (omg they wanted to go to college! The horror!).

When she says "progressive" she means activities like how to write a college entrance essay, career night (I invited a few working women of the ward to talk about their careers - a teacher, hair stylist, and a nurse), how to change a tire, combined yw/ym activity where I had a professional ballroom dance couple (TBM couple in our stake) come and teach the kids how to dance - last was the last straw for this mom who made a scene and made all her kids sit on the side of the gym and wouldn't allow them to participate.

Now that I'm a parent with a daughter this bullshit is the LAST thing I would want her exposed to. I know how the YW program works and it's regressive and just Palin awful.

How about some classes about MARRIAGE not just the WEDDING. Their priorities are so effed up and destructive it makes me sick. I personally have a close friend who is staying in an abusive marriage because she (thinks) she has no other options. Thanks YW program for encouraging girls to marry as young as possible, to complete strangers, pop out babies, forgo education and any security in life. Awesome.

Rant off /

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 02:11PM

I can't read the blog. Did she make it private after getting critical comments?

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 02:18PM

I guess she made the blog private after those critical comments. Either that, or she had one of those trackers and noticed where the increase in her blog traffic came from, as sometimes they have the website or blog someone found the blog from posted.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 02:38PM

I clicked on it and like the other posters, it made me sick.

What is wrong with these young women leaders? Can they be this freaking stupid? Didn't they see pics of Warren Jeffs and his young bride?

As I have said before, the YW program is the most toxic twisted sick program the church has.

Posted by: saxgirl07 ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 07:43PM

To complete what everyone else has said, This activity would have only been complete withh the green hat and aprons in the photo :)

Posted by: miserable in utah county ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 07:57PM

I just looked at the blog and apparently they changed it so not just anyone can post a comment. :(

I'm going to share this with my non-mo utah mom group on fb, way too funny not to share!!!

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 29, 2012 08:04PM

If I watch this every day, I will be thin as a rail!

I simultaneously lost my appetite and felt a tad queasy.

You'd think that somebody involved in this foolishness would have realized this looks like a child bride factory.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.