Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lazarus ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 08:52PM

I moved about four months ago. We never went to the ward we moved from, so they didn't miss us when we moved. I have been logging into lds.org once a week to see what ward I am associated with. Up until a week ago, it was my old ward. For the past week, I can log in just fine but get the following error when I try to pull up the calendar or ward directory: Sorry, data is temporarily not available for this application. Please try again later.

So, my theory is the old ward realized I didn't live there anymore and sent my membership records to Salt Lake. That means some old missionaries are sifting through utility records and calling family members trying to find me. I give it another two weeks before the bishopric shows up. Damn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 29, 2012 08:56PM

Yep, they definitely know I moved. Here's the message I get when I click on my ward in the building locator tool. I haven't resigned, but maybe I should interpret this message as encouragement to do so.

Currently, additional functionality and data is available only to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Our records do not currently show that you are a member.
If you are a Church member and are still receiving this message, try the following:
Your LDS Account might not currently list your membership information. Sign in to http://ldsaccount.ldschurch.org to see if this is the case. Update your profile with your membership number and confirmation date if necessary. (You can get this information from your ward clerk.)
If that does not work, talk with your ward leaders to see if there is a problem with your records.

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 11:04PM

This is the ONLY religious site where you have to have special permissions to login & explore doctrine & beliefs! Any other site you visit, from hasidic Judaism to scientology, doesn't require you to go to your local provider for your own login information! (sure, scientology requires that you buy a lot of books, which I recommend ILLing through your local library bc they can be $$$, but you don't need a special login)
Lmao! I'm sorry, but that's should be a HUGE red flag to anyone considering joining. They clearly have something to hide if you can't even access your locality's information on their website! Lolololol!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 09:53PM

If I didn't know better, I would think you were a member of the mafia. Crazy you have to think about being tracked down every time you move.

Date: January 29, 2012 10:04PM

I know. I started going to a therapist recently, and this was one thing I talked about. I am normally not one to be afraid of confrontation. However, I have avoided any and all confrontation around leaving the church by running and hiding. My goal for when they find me this time is to not hide.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 03:04AM

Good luck! We're here for you if you need a cheering section.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 12:59AM

Just put a sign on your door saying NO Proselytizing!
Sometimes I just wonder why some people have so much trouble with Morgs hanging around their homes. It is YOU HOME.....you decide who is welcome.....

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 12:43PM

Many of us have been emotionally and spiritually abused and so completely brainwashed that we simply cannot see the simplicity of walking away. The reality is that it is anything but simple for most of us. Especially those of us from mulit-generational mormon families. Mormonism touches every part of our lives and leaving takes tremendous will power and courage.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.