Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 12:16PM

Sorry if this is old news. I thought the piece was well written. No surprise the LDS defensiveness in the comment section is really kind of sad.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-mormon-church-in-need-of-reform/2012/01/27/gIQA3s44aQ_story.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 12:16PM by badseed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 12:19PM

You can't reform a radical sect. It must crumble from inside or be overthrown with new leadership put into place.

I suppose the changes about polygamy and blacks in the priesthood would qualify as reform. But not without significant backlash and many people leaving the official church to continue on their own.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 12:24PM

that the Church won't reform....meaning that believers realize that real reform would make Mormonism like any other religion and they will refuse to do that. No one wants to be just believer once you've been the 'Chosen people.'

I do think though that the Church if it ever did allow itself to go there (it wont) would be less harmful than it is now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.