Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 04:17PM

Well, I guess it is a complaint, but only from the perspective of it is annoying to me, obviously not so much to anyone else.
What is up with "xxx wrote"? I was reading through threads this morning and came across one that had that statement before every post, and a repeat of the previous post before replying. Do people do that because they think others here are incapable of reading and understanding the previous post? Really, every single post in that thread had the words "xxx wrote" and a repeat of the prior post. C'mom people, I know what the previous person said, I can and did read it! I've asked this before, and really don't expect it will change, but it really is annoying. Just saying.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 04:24PM

I do not know the specifics of the tread you are talking about, but I do this when I want to address each point in a multi-point post individually, directly and clearly. That is often the reason a person is quoted.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 04:25PM

which response is to which poster.
I like it. Not so much confusion.

Date: November 22, 2010 04:39PM

Ok, I can see that and I agree. I'm talking about posters who reply to a post by quoting the post we all just read. I don't want to call anyone out, that is not my purpose, but when I read a post and the very next reply starts by quoting the post I just read, its worse than listening to the old geriatrics who speak at general conference. And it's not always because there are multiple points made, they quote the previous post I just read. One thread had that at every post in the thread. Just wondering if it was done on purpose, and if it was, do they think I'm too stoopid to read,or too dense to understand it?

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 04:40PM

It is a posting technique used mostly in bitch-fights.

After pulling on each others clothes and hair, the participants will straighten their skirts, return to the keyboard and type “xxx wrote…blah…blah...blah…”

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 04:46PM

ziller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is a posting technique used mostly in
> bitch-fights.
>
> After pulling on each others clothes and hair, the
> participants will straighten their skirts, return
> to the keyboard and type “xxx
> wrote…blah…blah...blah…”

Sometimes the quote technique is used to accurately preserve the words of a poster, because sometimes a poster who posts something incredibly jaw droppingly sexist and in poor taste will go back and change the post later so they don't look like a foolish immature idiot.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 04:54PM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 02:27AM

If a post was edited (and it used to happen here regularly with one particular poster who was shown the door years ago) in order to deny something was said that actually was, it will say at the bottom "number of times edited."

I use the copy-and-paste function with an arrow (>) to highlight what was said if there's something I want to make sure is noted...

JMHO, but quoting an entire post (particularly if it's long) is a lousy tactic since one's goal ought to be focusing on the problem areas and inconsistencies rather than rudely (and narcissistically) expecting someone to read an entire post twice. Brevity and simplicity are two qualities I used to strive to teaching in writing classes, and obfuscatory tactics only serve to create inertia.

Of course some prefer the status quo...

Another approach I find useful is to open several browser windows if I want to address a couple of posts in a thread. That way I have them available without having to bounce back and forth...

Posted by: Dice ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 05:15PM

Date: November 23, 2010 02:29AM

I did use it, BTW, on a thread the other night, and I fully expected a possible explosion, but none was forthcoming...

But then I have an advantage in that everyone expects cabbies to be rude now and then...

Date: November 22, 2010 04:46PM

I was just noticing it was mostly on a "bitch-fight". Mostly by one certain poster, I was just saying how annoying that is. Others do it occasionally, but I thought this was really excessive.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 04:49PM

quote several other posters and respond to all of them. I have seen that done many times on other boards. I don't know how to do that on this board though.

I use the quote and reply for clarity and to make sure I am responding to the right poster. Sometimes I quote the whole post, and make comments in the body of it, or sometimes I just quote part of the reply and make my comment.

It's a technique used in emails also. I use it a lot, so do most of my email friends and relatives.

I find it very helpful, and I know I can skip the repeated post, if I need to. No big deal.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 04:54PM

Hi foundoubt,

"xxx wrote" results from clicking the "quote" button instead of the "reply" button. For example:

foundoubt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I guess it is a complaint, but only from the
> perspective of it is annoying to me, obviously not
> so much to anyone else.
> What is up with "xxx wrote"? I was reading through
> threads this morning and came across one that had
> that statement before every post, and a repeat of
> the previous post before replying. Do people do
> that because they think others here are incapable
> of reading and understanding the previous post?
> Really, every single post in that thread had the
> words "xxx wrote" and a repeat of the prior post.
> C'mom people, I know what the previous person
> said, I can and did read it! I've asked this
> before, and really don't expect it will change,
> but it really is annoying. Just saying.

Quoting can be useful in a forum where a post can be edited after it has been posted. Some posters edit their posts several times *after* their post has been responded to. Quoting the post you are responding to ensures that others know which version of the post you are responding to.

An example of its usefulness:

If I call you an airhead and then you respond by telling me I'm being inappropriate, I could (if I were a registered user) go back and edit out my ad hominem and pretend to not know what you are talking about.

Another example is I could make a claim and when you respond by showing me how I am wrong I could go back and edit out my claim and pretend I never made such a claim.

I know my two examples look extremely ridiculous, but believe it or not this sort of thing happens on RfM.

Cheers

Posted by: Hmm... ( )
Date: November 22, 2010 11:33PM

Sounds like babycenter antics to me!

Human Wrote:

> If I call you an airhead and then you respond by
> telling me I'm being inappropriate, I could (if I
> were a registered user) go back and edit out my ad
> hominem and pretend to not know what you are
> talking about.
>
> Another example is I could make a claim and when
> you respond by showing me how I am wrong I could
> go back and edit out my claim and pretend I never
> made such a claim.
>
> I know my two examples look extremely ridiculous,
> but believe it or not this sort of thing happens
> on RfM.
>
> Cheers

Date: November 23, 2010 02:37AM

The psychological term for practices such as changing one's post after the fact and then feigning innocence is "gaslighting."

Many of us who've been here a while have acquired familiarity with that stuff (and it's abusive as hell, IMHO).

If the board doesn't correct such practices (and it usually does) individuals who persist in them usually find themselves on the outs with just about everyone...

Date: November 22, 2010 05:09PM

It does, really? Lol

Posted by: Holly ( )
Date: November 24, 2010 04:45AM

hum, I'm usually a lurker on this board, just toss in my 2 cents occasionally. But on other boards I am on, it's done because if 2 or 3 people post at the same time, what YOU post may NOT be directly below the post you are referring to.

It can be extremely confusing if you don't quote in that instance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.