Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 09:47PM

We're trying to sell our house right now in an ok market. We priced it low, by about $15k, so it would sell. After two months we finally got an offer. It was from someone my wife sort of knew from church. Their offer was presented as their absolute best offer. We countered at a higher price (but still $10k below our lower list price) and they accepted, meaning theirs wasn't really their best. But that's fine, all part of the game. So now they also want us to do close to $10k in cosmetic repairs. I'm trying to decide if they're greedy, cheap, or just looking for the mormon discount.

The mormon discount expectation is real, right? I'm not just imagining things, am I? I've heard of it when conducting business, like as an electrician or coputer person, but in real estate too?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 09:51PM

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 09:57PM

Could be. I've sold several houses over the years and this is the first time i've had a buyer tell us something as crazy as we need to re-side the entire detatched garage completely at our expense because one of the boards is chipped. And then call the siding request a deal breaker.

And the wife emailed my wife right before we got the initial offer to let her know that it was coming to us from someone in our old ward. I've never had a buyer contact me directly, bypassing both realtors, before either. It may not have anything to do with mormons, it could just be that this particular buyer is weird.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 10:08PM by onlyme.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 01, 2012 11:28PM

Is this part of the purchase agreement? Where is your realtor in all this? He or she should be fighting for you and recommending what to do. I wouldn't do any $10,000 worth of anything unless it doesn't pass inspection. Something might not get fixed in time, and it could push back the closing date. No, they need to purchase the house AS IS and at the price that they agreed to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 11:29PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 02, 2012 12:12AM

I hope to sell my place to a nice young Mormon dentist with lots of kids some day....and he'll have to cut a check with lots of zeros...and no discount...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.