Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: February 02, 2012 06:18PM

I've mentioned before to TBM family and friends that our bipolar son is incapable of being the mormon standard (one of the reasons TSCC is NOT the church for us). He is never going to do/be what the church expects of him. They usually respond with either some statement of pity or some kind of rah-rah "anything's possible with God" sentiment. 1 Nephi 3:7 is the frequently quoted TBM response--wherein Nephi declares that he'll do whatever god asks because, "I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them to accomplish the thing which he commandeth."

Sounds great. Then I had an epiphany...

Wait...just how did Nephi accomplish his task? That's right. He killed Laban and stole the brass plates.

I could accomplish anything by killing and stealing too, but that's just not an acceptable option in civilized society. Nice try, god. What else do you have? Oh, and if you are an all-powerful being, why did you make Nephi kill and steal for you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: February 02, 2012 09:49PM

This God guy sure has a strange way of seeing that his commandments are followed.

I never could wrap my head around that we are suppose to believe in this loving God yet this loving God wants us to do his dirty work.

How's your son doing? Well I hope.

Date: February 02, 2012 11:22PM

Thanks for asking! He's doing well at the moment. We had a pretty rough time for a while there, but right now the combination of Lamictal and Lithium is doing the trick :)

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:02AM

Professional help beats Mormon blessings.

Wishing your son continued less rough times.

Posted by: Onefootout5 ( )
Date: February 02, 2012 09:52PM

"I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them to accomplish the thing which he commandeth."

Unless it's to build Zion in Missouri. Or a successful bank in Kirkland. Or Zion in Clay County. Or in Zion. Or practice polygamy.

Though I guess that was the members' fault, as usual. Damnit, we screw everything up.

Posted by: Onefootout5 ( )
Date: February 02, 2012 09:53PM

*or in Nauvoo.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 02, 2012 09:53PM

Missionaries often forego baptism of people who are deemed unaccountable. The reasoning comes from Moroni where little children and those without the Law are exempt.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: February 02, 2012 11:29PM

I'm glad to hear you didn't subject your son to the church. Many members (not all) see any kind of mental illness as proof the person is sinful. Who needs that on top of their problems?

Date: February 02, 2012 11:48PM

Thanks, we learned the hard way. We unfortunately subjected him to TSCC for years. It was a constant struggle for him and a huge frustration for us. Our family finally got professional help when he turned 12. Lowering our expectations and ultimately leaving church have made a HUGE difference in our relationship with him and how he feels about himself. He just turned 18, and I think he's exponentially better now than he would have been if we'd kept our impossibly high TBM expectations.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:13AM

Well then let me just throw this out too.

MORmONS LOVE LOVE LOVE to quote that BOM BS 1st Nephi 3:7 to beat ppl over the head with it, ppl they consider to be lesser members. PErsonally I HATE that scripture. We had it jammed down our throat continually in Seminary. I wonder what the seminary teacher would have done IF I had insisted that I heard a voice from God & it told me to demand the lesson manual. Further, If I did not get it as soon as I liked, then I was going to cut off the seminary teacher's head.

Most ppl dont know that Joe SMith had to contradict his 1 Nephi 3;7 BOM BS. Its in the D&C. I think its section 49.
It says that things dont always work out the way Jesus planned so the Lord has to settle for less. Yah quite a turn around from the Nephi BS. Funny MORmONS dont want to talk about the D&C counter to "the Lord always provides a way" BS.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:35AM

It's promises are fake.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 03, 2012 02:43AM

good points, nowI'mfound. I hope you use that next time you get a chance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.