Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Onefootout5 ( )
Date: February 02, 2012 09:58PM

There's been a lot of talk (I'm thinking of Jensen as I type this) about owning up the the history - of working it into Church lessons, seminary, whatever. And yeah, it would certainly help people not to leave when they find out about it as adults.

There are two problems with the history: Let alone, the history is damning. More damning is that the Church tried to keep it buried. But let's go back to the first one...I'm finishing up "Rough Stone Rolling," what is chalked up to be a pretty fair representation of history, and it is racked with damning, or at the very least, eyebrow-raising information.

So this whole thing about coming out with the history and teaching it to members while they're young is incredible problematic to me. How does it make it better to further indoctrinate young children to think it's okay that Joseph Smith's accounts of his "first vision" differ from each other, and seem to have evolved to fit his evolving plans for a growing movement? To teach them that "we just don't understand" why Joseph Smith hung womens' willingness to marry him on their eternal salvation?

It seems plain crazy and dark to me. The reason people leave when they learn all these things is because as adults, we can see why they're wrong. To counter that, the Church plans to teach members in the bud that those things were right. What the hell? Does anyone else see the insanity and danger in that?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/mormons-confront-epidemic-on-online-misinformation/2012/02/01/gIQApULJiQ_story.html

'“If the disruptive facts are worked into the history Latter-day Saints learn as they grow up, they won’t be turned upside down when they come across something negative.”

Indeed, said Givens, “if you tell a 12-year-old child that Joseph Smith used a ‘peep stone’ in a hat to translate the Book of Mormon, he’ll think that’s cool or interesting.”

But when Latter-Day Saints find out about that on the Internet at age 50, he said, they’ll ask, “Why didn’t the church tell me?” And by then, Givens said, the church may have lost them.'

Givens is saying "We can brainwash them when they're 12 to think all the crazy and dark stuff is okay. When they're 50, they know better."

It is seriously disturbing to me that THAT is their solution. "Let's rework all the crazy, wrong, dark, seriously questionable b.s. into the indoctrination of our primary children. Then it becomes right, good, faithful, true and right."

Why would it make it any different for people if the Church owned up to it? The historical evidence all points to it being a huge effing fraud, whether they admit to it or not.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: February 02, 2012 10:51PM

Many of us have been trying to figure out how "The Rescue" could possibly even begin to open the nasty ass can-o-worms the cult has created for itself.

Where could you possibly start? What possible thread could you pull that wouldn't unravel the whole cloth?

It's insane. Yeah lets tell 8 year olds that JS married and had sex with a 14 year old. I'm SURE they will then see that it is totally fine! (great plan, Tommy, <facepalm>)

Posted by: dot ( )
Date: February 02, 2012 11:30PM

Yep, totally scary solution.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.