Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 03:12PM

"Finish the quote! "... OR PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF..." You make gay marriage a RIGHT, and it prohibits the free exercise of religion by opening them up to lawsuits grounded in refusal to perform said ceremonies against the tenets of the individual religion! Face it, folks. This nation was FOUNDED by those who believed in a Supreme Being. The Fathers called Him, "Divine Providence". The constitution is BASED on Christian tenets. The intent of the first amendment was to guarantee that NO religious worship would be prohibited by the government, and that no belief system would be put up above the rest as a STATE religion. (Think Anglican Church in England). The meaning of this part of the first amendment has been twisted over the years. It guarantees freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. Much as the vocal minority would have the rest of the country believe, this is not about Gay rights. It is a continued attack on the founding religious principles of the nation itself. (in my humble opinion) I realize that arguing the point is futile. but I cannot and will not stand by as the original intent of the constitution is abused by omission."

I told him that the First Amendment does guarantee freedom FROM religion. Then, I unfriended him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 03:18PM

Holy Lord. What a dumbass. For someone who knows SO much about the Constitution and founding fathers (clearly he doesn't), conveniently has forgotten about the ESTABLISHMENT clause?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 03:30PM

By his definition sacrificing a virgin at dawn would be okay so long as it was done in the name of religion.

Posted by: reasonabledoubt ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 03:21PM

LOL @ "(in my humble opinion)"

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 03:22PM

That was a little hard to read. Is what he's saying that as a bigot he has Constitutional support?

Religion, in particular, including the Mormons, is always trying to legalize hatred. And this guy seems to claim that the Constitution guarantees Religion the right to do anything it wants. Maybe he should go join the Phelps.

Date: February 04, 2012 03:28PM

OMG, I had the same conversation with my Fundie niece's daughter just before Christmas.It is impossible to reason with such people. I think I may have made a small dent in the girl's ignorance, but her mother is another story.I don't need to be taught, I knows the truth blah, blah, blah and don't confuse me with facts..

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 03:37PM

I could be a little wrong on the issue, but last I checked, gay people weren't asking for their marriages to be recognized by churches, but by the state. I don't see why gay marriage is a religious issue. Well, other than religious people making it so to disguise their bigotry.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 03:41PM

You nailed it.

Date: February 04, 2012 03:48PM

Religions can marry anyone they like and can refuse to marry anyone they want too. Lots of churches will not perform weddings unless you are a member and have met certain conditions. That is protected by the Constitution and won't change. The ignorance of the Constitution is astounding.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 04:05PM

bona dea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Religions can marry anyone they like and can
> refuse to marry anyone they want too. Lots of
> churches will not perform weddings unless you are
> a member and have met certain conditions. That is
> protected by the Constitution and won't change.
> The ignorance of the Constitution is astounding.

+1

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 04:06PM

Personally, I like the HIDE function on FB.... best. That way I can ditch stuff (any post) I don't want to deal with that is cluttering up my page! I can also unsubscribe from posts. I like those functions.

Posted by: boiseguy ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 03:38PM

No freedom from religion? This guy is a dip$hit. Vocal minority? Not according to most polls depending on where u live. People like this should flush themselves down a toilet and do everyone around them a favor.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 03:48PM

In order to know certain parts of that statement, he would have to know that the rest of it is false. So, what's his motivation for shouting from the housetops a thing he knows is false? That must require a lot of self-loathing, especially if he thinks he's going to sound knowledgeable for saying such an idiotic thing. Good move unfriending that asshole.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 03:53PM

He's probably one of those who insists there is no constitutional separation of church and state just because that exact phrase does not appear in the constitution.

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 04:12PM

In my opinion the biggest fear of religion is loss of money.
When Gay marriage is the law of the land, it will all be through the state. The religious ceramonies will be just that.

I read so many stories here of people who are hanging on paying tithing to see there child get married. This will stop.

Not sure why other religions are still fighting it, has to be money involved somewhere.

I personally think all marriages should be civil. Then the couple can decide how they want to go from there.

The extortion needs to stop and so does the prevention of civil rights.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 09:43AM

but it doesn't count as anything more than a nice ceremony. The civil marriage is what counts

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 04:25PM

What a nutwit. Fact is, just because your religion thinks gays are icky, doesn't mean the rest of the country does. Churches have every right to say, no, you can't marry that person in this church, but they have no right to tell millions of gays that they have no right to marry. Enough of these people trying to control every aspect of people's private lives with THEIR religious rules. Otherwise we should put a scarlet A. on them that won't stand for Adulterer or we should stone them or put them in pillocks.

Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: February 04, 2012 04:40PM

"or we should stone them or put them in pillocks."

Put them in penises? I suppose that would be kind of a poetic punishment...

Date: February 04, 2012 05:23PM

"Atheism IS a religion, Michael. Just ask the official organization which gets the same tax breaks as any other church."

"Michael's comment got us on this tangent. It is primarily the Atheists who wish to be protected from "religion". So the issue of gay marriage does encompass the issue of atheism and religion, and most religious tenets still hold to scriptural evidence that homosexuality is a sin."

If anyone wants to chime in, here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/equisrider/posts/146104258841535?notif_t=share_reply

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 09:45AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 09:46AM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 12:26PM

Good on you, Michael.

Rick Santorum calls marriage a "privilege" that should only be given to heterosexuals, because they benefit society. You know, like Newt Gingrich, and Kim Kardashian, and Josh Powell.

Date: February 06, 2012 12:51PM

jazzskeeter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good on you, Michael.
>
Thank you, jazzskeeter.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.