Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jaredsotherbrother ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 07:47PM

I usually despise Bloomberg and his monomaniacal (and, to my mind, illegal)insistence on breaking us dumb normals of what he perceives to be bad habits, ie, smoking, transfats, etc., I kind of have to agree on this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 07:53PM by jaredsotherbrother.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mormonista ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 08:24PM

This can't encourage illegal gun sales because ,unregistered gun sales between individual Americans is NOT illegal.
It's protected by the second amendment. Guns have been sold via classified ads since classified ads were invented.

Bloomberg is an Idiot!

Date: February 06, 2012 08:52PM

Laws on private party to private party gun sales vary from state to state. However, as I understand it, interstate private party sales are illegal, and KSL.com's policy encourages this activity. A world wide website classified add is completely different than your local Pennysaver classified add.

Posted by: Horsefeathers ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 11:11PM

Fueling an illicit black market?
Calling out an organization for illegal practices?

The guy is a megalomaniac with an obsession against firearms & he's fueled his own questionable practices in headline-grabbing activities extending investigations into other states where he has absolutely no authority or jurisdiction whatever.

Tacitly encouraging illegal unregistered gun sales?
There are no federal laws requiring registration of every firearm sale.
There is no Utah state requirement of same.

There are federal regulations governing the sales of firearms across state lines, but KSL is not responsible for enforcing those & figures the buyers & sellers are.

KSL encourages no sale of any firearm in an illegal manner merely by allowing in-state owners to list firearms for sale in private face to face transactions.

Bloomberg is an ass, and KSL is no fiendish arch-villain contributing to the demise & destruction of civilization as we know it.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 12:05AM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 12:09AM

guns are manufactured in just a few states, I believe; therefore, Most guns transactions are interstate.

just sayin'

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 01:10AM

The church operates a Crag's List type page for people with TBM beliefs, not the actual gun dealers themselves. The internet is a really vast thing, and as anyone who has ever operated a website that relies on user content, near impossible to control.

I also don't like the precedent that a city can sue an internet site operated in another jurisdiction, because people are using it to violate laws in the first city. To me that falls under interstate trade, which is the soul domain of the federal government. Let the ATF look into it. If they don't think anything is wrong, then Bloomburg needs to shut up. Next time it could be Salt Lake City suing Adam and Eve for selling vibrators to minors.

Date: February 07, 2012 11:47AM

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 01:22AM

gawd! - I could not even read the whole fucking thing - it is not illegal to sell a gun online - feck!

Posted by: sivab1 ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 11:55AM

My problem is still with the church. It just seems like an "unchurchly" thing to do even if it is part of their "for-profit" branch. I know another faithful tithe-paying relative that is now unable to afford their mortgage payments because of LDS Inc. It seems that they have their grubby morgy hands in any and every business they can, make their money and still demand more from the "members" to guarantee their entrance into heaven.

Posted by: rt (not logged in) ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 12:16PM

Sure, why not, it's not like it's illegal. It's the Christian thing to do. The Muslims are stocking up too. Religion is supposed to be all about guns, isn't it?

This reminds me of a line from some movie where Michael Douglas is president: for some reason, Americans don't seem to relate guns to gun-related crimes.

Date: February 07, 2012 12:22PM

WAs there supposed to be a point somewhere in your post?

Posted by: ohioapostate ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 12:26PM

Any interstate sale of firearms is legal as long as the firearm is shipped from an FFL holder like a gun shop, to an FFL holder whereupon the buyer undergoes a standard NICS background check and if approved may then receive the firearm purchased. You cannot just go to the post office and mail a gun. That changed after JFK was assassinated.

Date: February 07, 2012 12:27PM

Date: February 06, 2012 07:56PM

This case is absolutely different. He's calling out an organization for engaging in illegal practices, as opposed to making personal choices illegal by personal fiat.

Date: February 06, 2012 08:00PM

Everything is perfectly legal, Bloomberg just doesn't like the fact that everyone doesn't have to live the way he thinks.

Date: February 06, 2012 08:08PM

You're correct, What KSL.com is doing is not illegal. I was wrong to say it was. However, they are tacitly encouraging illegal, unregistered gun sales.

Believe me, I love guns, but I am all for gun sales controls.

Date: February 07, 2012 12:04AM

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 01:32AM

There is no national registry for guns. A few small localities have registries, but it is their duty to enforce such laws once the gun enters their jurisdiction, not before. As a rule, cities do not have the power to write laws for people living in other communities, and that includes NYC. In fact the constitution specifically prohibits states from interfering with commerce in other states. This is the same reason why all the attempts by cities to tax internet sales for companies that don't have offices in their local are doomed to fail.

I understand a lot of people don't like guns. Just remember, a lot of people don't like a lot of things. You let the people in NYC tell the people in SLC what they can and can't do on the internet, and tomorrow it will be SLC with their Mormon values telling you what you can't do on it either.

Date: February 06, 2012 08:01PM

Date: February 06, 2012 08:14PM

I did read the comments, and I'll avoid commenting on them, lest I commit RFM suicide by getting political.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 08:14PM by jaredsotherbrother.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.