Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alex71ut ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 06:18PM

Another thread about someone watching an exchange in the foyer between a member standing up for themselves and a couple of loving priesthood leaders got me thinking. This show interrupted his usual game of Angry Birds on his mobile phone which he probably routinely does to pass time while sitting through mind-numbing church. This reminds me to never think I can do well in an Angry Birds competition with New Order Mormons or others who attend but don't believe. Those guys have got to be good at slingshotting birds into shelves of glass or whatever it is that those birds crash into. When I was in that position of having to attend 3 hours/week bored out of my mind I'd play Tetris on my Palm Pilot. That was before internet service was a standard feature for smartphones. What other things do attending unbelievers do? Sleep? Angry Birds? something else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 06:26PM

test

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 06:36PM

retest

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 06:48PM

The last couple of months I just zoned out- and now I don't go.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 06:50PM

I'd write poems inspired by the trite nonsense I'd hear during sacrament meeting. I also did a lot of sudoku. My son browsed the web on his phone. DH and I would text each other snarky comments...oh the ways we used to kill time...

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 06:54PM

Back when I used to attend Sacrament meeting, I put "anti-Mormon" books on my Kindle and read them. I've got the Bible on my Kindle too so I would read a verse in that in case anyone asked what I was reading, I could say the Scriptures. I've also hidden books in my scripture case. Harry Potter fits nicely.

Bishop Jackwagon played on his cell phone all throughout the Primary program year before last -- right on the stand where everyone could see he wasn't paying the least bit of attention to the kiddies. Maybe he thought he was hidden behind the podium. This was particularly bad because his wife was in charge of the Primary program so not only did he seem uninterested in the kids but in his wife as well.

I hope she gave him holy hell when they got home.

Posted by: reasonabledoubt ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 07:03PM

Poker books or just fiction -- if I'm going to be exposed to fiction it had at least better be entertaining.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 07:08PM

angry women from the UK??? :)

Posted by: Mrs. Estzerhaus ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 07:15PM

Angry Birds is the name of a popular video game. I don't play it, but rumors abound, it's addictive and perhaps Satinic, LOL!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 10:02AM

I'd rather have the angry British women. I hear they are a trip in...oh wait better keep this PG.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 07:11PM

The traditional method was to put an interesting book in really Mormony book's dust cover.

Read, sleep, day dream, those were the choices.

Posted by: apikoros ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 09:40PM

I did the fake dust cover thing! Over and over again! I started with "No Man Knows My History" and went on to D. Michael Quinn, Arza Evans, etc. I got to really enjoy sacrament meeting that way, with comforting 'white noise' droning on in the background as I read! And no one ever called me on it! How do you interrupt and challenge someone who is obviously reading [and REALLY enjoying] a book about that Great Prophet, Seer & Revelator, Gordon B. Hinckley? Thanks, Shari Dew!

Ha!

Posted by: athreehourbore ( )
Date: February 06, 2012 08:48PM

but was too afraid I'd look less valiant and draw attention to myself (and end up cursed with dark skin).

So i played "name that logical fallacy" with myself. Been playing with myself ever since.

Date: February 07, 2012 10:04AM

Just remember, it is not a sin to play with yourself, just something that is really funny to tease you with, since you used that phrase.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 03:30AM

I had to sit on the stand. (I had to go to the bathroom a few times, and they worried that I wasn't going to return in time to play the organ, so putting me on the stand made them feel more secure.) I would people-watch, but was truly nauseated by the older couples who would maul each other out of boredom. One couple were into foot-rubs for a while. Teen agers used to braid each other's hair. So, I would bring wonderful music to read and play in my head. No one could object to my looking at music, right?

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 03:57AM

We text each other. I would like to play words with friends, but the darn yellow tiles. Are so bright it sort of gives it away to anyone behind us.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 03:59AM

I used to sit and laugh at the freaky hairstyles and stupid looking ties.

Posted by: forensis ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 05:35AM

I have been reading different articles and following forum topics from this website lately!

on iPhone - To small for most people to really see over your shoulder.

Date: February 07, 2012 10:21AM

I am so happy that I am not in a relationship where someone felt compelled to make me go to some church I did not believe in.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 10:32AM

he'd take whatever toddler we had at the time and let them play in the foyer. He'd be gone for the entire SM, along with a handful of other dads.

As soon as he came out to me as an unbeliever, and I was muddling through doctrinal things myself, he'd bring his iPod and surf RFM. That's how I got introduced to this site...In Sacrament Meeting.

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: February 07, 2012 11:20AM

One of my friends and I used to flip through the bible or BOM and point to words that were hilarious.

Boaz.
Berodachbaladan.
Ramathaimzophim.
Ass.

Mature, I know. We'd laugh so hard we'd get those silent trying not to bust out laughing shakes. Kept us awake in seminary, too.

Now, a couple decades later, I still giggle at some of the language and names when I'm subjected. She's kind of a NOM, and does the same.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.