Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elee ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 11:55AM

Oh dear. I actually had forgotten about this entirely until quite recently. I was driving in my car and a certain Depeche Mode song came on the radio. That song? 'People Are People'.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW-ftxIrhBc

So, I was asked to give a two and a half minute talk in SM. This would have been around 1984/5, so I would have been 16 or 17 at the time.

I don't remember them giving me a topic, though I can't imagine they didn't.

Again, this was the mid-80s, so use your imaginations and take a guess at what I must have looked like. Multiple piercing (this was before multiple earrings ban), hair hanging down in my eyes in front, but sticking straight up everywhere else, tons of black eyeliner and mascara and, I suppose, a very good chance I was wearing entirely black clothing. :)

I read the lyrics to the song, then took the remainder of the time to chastise the entire ward about being judgmental and only taking a person's appearance into account when making such a judgment.

The looks on the faces of many in the congregation was surprise and shock. But they didn't cut off my mike. Afterward, a handful of people came up and told me it needed to be said and thanked me for my message. I don't remember ever being chastened for it by the bishop or anyone else.

I'm embarrassed by this now because it was such a completely self-righteous thing to do. And self-righteous in the way that only a teenager can muster. On the other hand, I can't believe I actually had the stones to do it at all.

Even stranger still, this was not the last time I was asked to speak in SM. The next time they asked me, though, I said yes and then skipped the meeting.

Should I be embarrassed about this still? Because I am. But then I'm conflicted about my embarrassment, too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 11:58AM

And you had some brass yins to speak your mind like that.

Wish i'd been in your ward growing up in the 80's!

Posted by: SerenitySeeker ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 02:44PM

No way you should be embarrased. Heck, you were a teenager! If nothing else, that explains everything. But I would've loved to have been there. That is an awesome story you have to tell and part of what made you who you are today. LOVE it! Made me smile! :)

Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 06:02PM

Never regret or feel dumb about stuff you did as a teenager no matter how goofy or akward. For every silly thing any teenager does in public are a hundred more ridiculous things done in private.

Now to make you feel better, imagine being a f&$/%^g missionary walking around like God is directing your every move preaching and judging and feelin' good. At least your stupid moment only lasted two minutes. Mine lasted two years.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 06:21PM

Heck I think you ought to be very proud of yourself in a good way for giving such a great powerful lesson that needs to be retaught every so often. Plus the way you dressed up to be a visual example makes it all that much better.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 06:28PM

Does embarrassing yourself ever end? It doesn't for me. I will think of something stupid I did or said from high school and feel like I need to go back and tell a person I'm sorry when they probably wouldn't even remember anything. I think what you did in front of the SM wasn't embarrassing anyway. It was true what you said, and it WAS the 80's so everyone looked like Madonna.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 08:02PM

long after leaving my teens behind!

That is a GREAT story. If I had been there as a TBM I would have adored you. Diversity! It would have made the ward less freaky and more "real world."

Date: February 09, 2012 08:51AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm still not sure why I'm embarrassed, so I guess I'll pick at that scab a little longer. The whole thing was pretty funny, in retrospect. :)

And Yaqoob: yeah, I hear you about being a missionary. I am happy I never had to do what you all did. I read missionary threads all the time where the former missionary is embarrassed for having participated in the program. I guess getting over our embarrassment and getting passed the guilt is what it's all about, eh?

Posted by: John Hughes ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 08:56AM

Date: February 09, 2012 09:13AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.