Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 02:43PM

This article is 4 months old but some of the comments are very amusing. The missionaries do not seem to be taken very seriously in the UK if the article comments mean anything. No anger, just a little poking fun at it, which I can understand.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/the-northerner/2011/sep/14/mormons-lancaster-bus-passengers

I liked this one from "spark":
"Here's how I got rid of my gentlemen mormons. They used to knock on the door twice a month and leave their publications with me. One of the publications was about how young women should tell the boys no when the boys pressured them for sex.
And I asked my mormons why their publication didn't suggest that the boys shouldn't pressure the girls for sex, and why it was the woman's job to make sure that sex didn't happen, and why the mormons thought men should lead the family/church/country/world when they couldn't even control their sex drives.
I haven't seen my two gentlemen mormons for 20 months now, and counting."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 03:05PM by suckafoo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 09:40PM

I like this from the story:

"I firmly believe that the Mormon Church is using your service as a place where the public cannot escape the attempt to indoctrinate them."

I can see them resorting to a captive audience, especially in Europe - out of desperation.

Posted by: Apostate J. ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 09:58PM

"If it becomes clear that someone does not want to hear that message they should move away."

Where should they move sir? They are on a &^%$ing crowded bus and are a captive audience!

This is a prime example of how Mormons are ignorant and clueless of their complete arrogance about other's beliefs and personal space. In their mind their sh*t never stinks and they think everyone wants to smell it.

Aside from their silly doctrines, this ignorance and arrogance is why so many people can't stand Mormons, and yet they never clue in to this.

Posted by: that one girl ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 10:12PM

During my undergrad days (in England), they came round once a month. We lived next door to an LDS chapel, and seemed to be the house where the new mishies started. Our all female student household loved (sarcasm) the new mishies. It always had been a multi-cultural, multi-racial household, and five single women of all creeds and colours just seemed to mess with their minds.They never seemed to understand how different creeds, colours and cultures could live beneath one roof, without a guy to lead us.

In hindsight, I get it. At the time, it was hilarious to watch them get flustered, because they didn't understand that faith, in Europe, is as private as your sex-life. Hence, talking about religion on a bus, is waaaaaaay too private. Thanks very much, we don't need to know that about you, but if it makes you happy, more power to you!

But with all due respect, this is Europe. We've been fighting bloody battles about religion since the 1600s. We still, to some extent, have that shit going on in Northern Ireland. So, dear mishies, give it a rest! We are sick and tired of it! More than three hundred years of death and destruction in the name of heaven, will give you an idea about how much better it is to believe whatever you want to believe, and mind your own business. Seriously, dear missionaries, look at us, look at the statistics from the 30 Years' War (1618- 1648), and all the harm fighting about religion did. Is that what you want?

That's one of the many fine reasons my undergrad house got along. We were interested in one another's faith, curious about it, but we never, ever doubted anyone's right to believe whatever they wanted. Yay for history students, and for goodness' sake, thinking you have "truth" on your side led us into 300 years of religious struggle! Give it a rest, will ya?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.