Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: freebird ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 03:45PM

A lively debate of differing opinions and an exchange of ideas and beliefs can be intellectually stimulating and enlightening. But personal, mean spirited, attacks,regardless of the reason, can be hurtful and destructive. Words are very potent and they are charged with emotional explosives. In circumstances where a person's emotional well being is fragile, they can detonate and explode causing varying degrees of harm.All of us, if we are cut we will bleed,albeit, some skin is thicker than other's. Cutting words can make a vulnerable soul bleed, causing harm that we may never have considered or imagined. May we all consider one another's humanity as we interact. The world,desperately needs voices of civility in it's chaotic reality.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 04:05PM

Agreed

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 08:30PM

Yes, there is always a need for civility. Unfortunately, it's often in short supply on the Internet in particular. Just reading comments on articles shows that they need a full time person to delete the unacceptable comments.

There is a new kind of "Age of Rage" that I have observed that has a sense of entitlement that permeates everywhere and everything from the roads, to the homes (domestic violence is rampant) to the Internet.

There is the overly sensitive, "I'm offended, we're offended, we're all offended" lack of owing our own power and letting others emotionally whip us around like leaves in the wind. (It takes some clear headed rational thought but if you own your own power, you decide who has the power to emotionally impact you!-- that is why I say it's impossible to offend me as I don't give anyone that power!).....

The old adage of controlling your (thoughts) your tongue, think before you speak (write) are most often ignored.

The anonymity of the Internet gives people a false sense of do and saw what you want as there are no real consequences.

I think most of us by now, understand that we have to have a tough skin to engage in exchanges on the Internet on boards, etc.

I often call it my "Duck Suit" -- learn not to take anything personally (it's not about me anyhow), and let stuff run off my back. Refuse to allow others to sabotage my personal happiness and joy and fun in just ..... living.

Can't harm, insult, upset me because I don't allow it. That's so important to understand it, in my view, when dealing with strangers on the Internet, for instance.

It's a new world out there!

Posted by: freebird ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 07:41AM

I agree with you,SuzyQ! I am living by that philosphy and practicing it daily. Over the years coming to this site, I have observed what I see as very vulnerable people looking for an outlet,advise, or just a sense of Im not alone! We cant see their faces or their situations mentally,emotionally, or otherwise! And a few people with razor sharp wit and intelligence are extremely reckless in their words! Do they have the right to be mean? I suppose they do, but I hope that maybe they will consider that many people come here seeking help and recovery and they are not equipped as you or I,emotionally to handle it well. It is always a good thing to have a desire to love or help others and to be mindful that our words can help or have a very opposite effect!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.