Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: February 08, 2012 10:31PM

Apologies if someone already posted something similar, but...

Does anyone else think it's ironic the way people vehemently oppose Obama's Catholic businesses/contraceptives proposal ("Separation of Church and State!"), but have no problems using religion to justify gay marriage bans?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/01/obama-birth-control-health-insurance_n_914818.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 10:41PM by nowI'mfound.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 09, 2012 09:26AM

And getting tired of talking to myself, LOL. Have fun y'all.

For years I've said that the church was fighting the wrong thing when they pushed prop 8 and other Defense of Marriage Acts. Instead of fighting individual legislation, they should have focused on working to strengthen the Separation of Church and State. Because, like I pointed out then, sure fighting gay marriage works in their favor now, but someday, there will be a policy that doesn't, and then you'll want that 1st Amendment protection. The Catholics are now experiencing EXACTLY what I was talking about. You can't use religion to legislate against someone else but then complain when it's used against you. Gay marriage should be a civil right available to all legal consenting adults, but churches, as private organization, can then decide who they will or won't marry and what are the criteria for full fellowship in their church. The solution's simple. Why don't they see it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 09:34AM by nowI'mfound.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 10:27AM

but you make a very good point. As it is, all religions are able to decide who they will or won't marry--and mormonism is over the top with this issue. If you aren't worthy according to them, you cannot be married in their temple--or even attend a family member's wedding, but then they think that making gay marriage legal is going to change their control?

But think of the logic where abortion is concerned. They taught (at least while I was growing up) that a baby who died before it took its first breath didn't gain its spirit. I knew of many instances--including a very close friend--whose baby died at 8 months in the womb and they told her it was "nonviable" in terms of LDS teachings. BUT you can't have an abortion? I don't believe I could have an abortion myself--but this issue makes absolutely no sense at all.

Date: February 09, 2012 11:15AM

You bring up another good point. Abortion is legal. Drinking and smoking are legal. There are many things contrary to TSCC's teachings that are legal--and they don't seem to be trying to legislate those. Why, then, are they so obsessed with trying to legislate marriage? And the fear tactics they use--they told voters in California that if Prop 8 didn't pass that gay marriage would be taught to preschoolers (oh no!), and that it would destroy the fabric of society. First of all, uh...what's being taught? That it's legal to marry whomever you choose? Or are they trying to imply that people will be taught to be gay? Isn't that what church leaders (especially BKP) are really afraid of--that children might be converted to gaydom? And the claims that they're just trying to "protect families"? Aren't their bigger threats to families--abuse, divorce, neglectful/absentee parents, etc? So, yay for Prop 8 being deemed unconstitutional. I'm glad to see justice stickin it to the narrow-minded TSCC bigots.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 06:22AM

Mormons would rather see an unhappy marrage between two straight people where the woman is beaten half to death than a happy marrage between two people of the same sex.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 12:19PM

It's the roman cathoholics on the supreme court.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.