Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 04:01AM

Is this happening anywhere else? Any Kiwi people here who know about the Polynesian wards in New Zealand?

Australian locals were told the integration was to benefit immigrants as the meetings are now to contain English prayers, songs and talks, which allows Pacific Islanders (formerly known as Lamanites) to practice English.

I know that one so-called mixed ward close to me is entirely Samoan except one elderly Anglo couple. I suspect the integration is due to the fact there are no more Australian members in the ward boundary.

If this is church policy, it should be happening everywhere right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sivab1 ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 08:38AM

I lived in NZ a few years ago when they tried to integrate a ward and change the way they had structured their ward. Rumor was that that ward put up quite the protest and did some vandalism. As far as I know they pretty much left them alone after that. I guess they figured it was better that way than to lose an entire ward of people. Even though I was TBM I could understand that ward a little. It seemed to me that the way they were running things was similar to their cultural structure and it worked for them. It was one of my red flags about how the church really is more about conformity to a very america-centric religion. Much of the micromanaging from the churh in UT really didn't translate well there so people just ignored it. That is what made the church better in NZ no one gave a sh(* about the dumb stuff. It really was more about service and socialization. Kiwis really were some of the nicesest people I have ever met-even the ones covered in tattoos, more than one piercing and partakers of tea. ;)

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 02:18PM

from the "English Hymn Book" and talks by the Bishop and councilors, everyone speaks Samoan in the halls. Why not?

They have Samoan and Tongan wards, and I assume Spanish wards in Utah. What's happening here in Oceania?

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 02:27PM

They tried this with my home ward over a decade ago, and the Spanish branch that shared our building. Many spanish-speakers went inactive that day - on the order of 90%.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.