Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 08:50PM

Didn't West Valley police have a search warrant for his house in UT before he moved to WA? I do not get this at all.....It will be interesting to find out whose blood that is on the comforter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 01:25PM

Long story short...the WVP are going to end up looking like nothing but big dumb-a$$, backwards-assed, country-folk-like buffoons.

It's all coming out now. ..

INCESTUOUS images on his computer????? The WVP knew this and did nothing to notify the Pullayp (sp?) police???

This has been clustered from the beginning.

And I'm sorry if I'm insensitive here...but the Cox's (Susan's parents) showing on TV, the day AFTER the murder of their grandchildren...the boy's rooms and them folding up the boys' comforters..."for the last time"...is just plain weird....

The powells and the Cox's are all 1 beer short of a 6-pack...

IMHO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2012 01:25PM by nonmo.

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 01:48PM

Yeah, and they did a program with Phil McGraw.

So strange.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 08:50PM

This whole story is just so wrong.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 08:58PM

Search warrants are not the end all be all that you see in the movies. By law, they must detail the areas of the house the police are going to search, and the items that the police are looking to find. You can not exceed a search warrant. If the lawyers forget to mention the attic or crawl space, you don't get to search those, unless you can trick the owner into letting you look there. If the warrant only mentions that you are looking for a missing person, and makes no mention of blood stains or other such things, you can only look in areas where it would be reasonable for a person to hide.

If however, you notice something of interest that does not fit into you warrant, you can note it, then use it as cause to get another warrant to look into the matter further. Crime shows, like CSI, don't get into all of those issues with warrants, because it would slow the show, and they need to keep a fast pace in order to stay interesting. It's not uncommon to miss things, not because the search was sloppy, but because you did not have legal authority to look in every nook and corner of the house.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 09:51PM

And I think in some (limited) instances the police have a right to search a property even if they do not have a search warrant.

And the Customs and Excise have much more powers to search and seize than the police have.

Date: February 10, 2012 11:28PM

In limited circumstances, they can, but it has to be because they have reason to believe a suspect is destroying evidence, or that someone's life is in danger, or you ask and get invited in. There used to be a joke that the reason cops split up when searching the perimeter of a house, was so that one could go to the front door, knock and yell, "Can I come in?" while the one who went around back yells, "sure!"

Again though, in a case where you think a guy murdered his wife, you try to get overly specific, and have warrants for every little thing that you do, so that the defense council can't argue you acted improperly later on.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 09:47PM

Why oh WHY would anyone save any evidence that could link them to the crime? I'm thinking this comforter was not used in Susan's disappearance/death.

Posted by: Other Than ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 10:18PM

It might've been washed. The surface looks clean, but micro-specks of blood can remain behind. He could've been worried about trying to get rid of it. Police could check anything large he threw out for exactly this kind of evidence.

Date: February 10, 2012 11:33PM

These guys are generally dumber then the media gives them credit for. I knew an officer that worked a case up in Tennessee, involving a love triangle murder, that got solved because one of the killers, a female, was wearing a piece of the skull of the female victim who had been sleeping with her boy friend, on a string around her neck. In her case, she was an immigrant from a third world country with a strong belief in magic and thought the bone piece would grant her special powers.

My point is, people who kill, or who commit other serious problems rarely have the capacity to think too far ahead. They honestly think they are not going to get caught, either because they are so much smarter then the police, or because getting caught is a really bad thing, and they just know in their heart that it is never going to happen to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2012 11:37PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Date: February 10, 2012 11:42PM

Lillium, let me simplify what I said like this, you don't commit murder because you are a genius, you murder because you are generally an idiot who can't come up with a better way of resolving the problem, then through violence.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 01:08AM

Anyone whose alibi is that he woke up two toddlers at midnight and took them camping in subfreezing and snowy weather can't be all that bright.

Date: February 11, 2012 01:44PM

Okay so you took a body out to dispose of it, and were either seen by someone in the area, or had to buy gas or something that could place you a certain direction out of town. You had 2 young kids who could talk so it had to be an alibi they could understand and would go along with.

What would you come up with?

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 01:54PM

He may have done something to draw blood (the hatchet he used on the kids?) that he needed to clean the carpet when he got back, but she was alive when they "went camping." The one child said that both parents got out of the car, and that "mommy got lost." (Probably thrown down a mine shaft.) He also said he hoped mommy knew how to camp because she was lost out camping.

Date: February 11, 2012 02:04PM

Oh I missed that! I assumed that since she was in the trunk she was already dead.

Okay so you took a live person out to get rid of them. What would your alibi be for being miles from home if there's a chance someone could place you there? You can't lie about it because catching you in a lie is a huge red flag right off the bat.

The first thing I would do is burn that comforter, or leave it with her. Even if they found her/it, my DNA would be on it since it came from a home I shared with her, so no explanation needed.

Date: February 10, 2012 10:18PM

Dateline has an hour on this tonight. Should be good.

Date: February 10, 2012 11:52PM

No, I do not think there was a cover up. There may have been some mistakes made, only time will tell, but it is unlikely that there was a cover-up.

Generally what happens after things like this, is that everyone sits down, and figures out what could have been done differently. The system works well enough so much of the time, that it is not always obvious when there are flaws in how things are done, until things like this happen. Since I was not there however, I will refrain from trying to point guilt at anyone other then Josh Powell.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 09:42AM

I don't understand why he would keep something like that. What if it's just menstrual blood, given that it's a comforter?

Date: February 11, 2012 11:07AM

Anyone know where Josh's mother is? It occurred to me last night we've seen the rest of his relatives and Susan's parents on TV but I haven't even heard mention of his mother.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 11:19AM

I think Josh Powell's mom is the only wise one in this whole tragic affair -- I understand she is estranged from the family and has stayed out of the fray.

Date: February 11, 2012 11:19AM

Josh's mother has just recently talked about the divorce she went through from Steve Powell and about some of the issues with Josh during and before that time when he was a teenager....he was seriously messed up even back then. But, I've not seen her interviewed in person anyplace. I don't even know for sure where she lives.

Posted by: sparta ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 12:32PM

With regard to searches in England and Wales - it does depend on what is written on the warrant.

If the warrant states "the building and premises of..." then you can search the entire house, grounds, outbuildings, etc. But if it states "bedrooms, bathroom" then that's all you can search.

In Scotland, you need a warrant from the Fiscal or consent from the owner or occupier of the premises to search. Consent is difficult to obtain.

(Disclaimer - information gained from dh who is under the influence)

Date: February 11, 2012 02:23PM

Having a drunk lawyer is the best time to get free legal advice. It loosens their lips, and they can't bill you for it.

Just Kidding, btw, always wait for a lawyer to sober up before getting advice.

Posted by: Delightsome White Boy ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 05:34PM

Callings? It looks like he is sporting the magic underpants in pictures. Surely some rfm ers know them. It seems like a whole lot of psychos come from lds up bringings.

Date: February 11, 2012 10:36PM

Steve Powell left the church years ago. Josh married Susan in the temple in 2001 but soon went inactive as well...it was one of the sore points in the marriage.

It's clear that Charlie and Braden had likely been attending the LDS church with the Cox grandparents recently.

Date: February 11, 2012 10:42PM

But as Delightsome White Boy pointed out, he appears to be wearing garmies. If I had to guess, he left the church because the church was not weird enough for him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.