Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 03:25PM

Why do Mormons routinely skip church, un-magnify their callings (don't do them,) and focus on their social hierarchy more than their piety?

My wife is primary president. Her absenteeism for not only teachers but has told me other auxilleries is terrible. If I were to take the man hours per year an average worker shows up to work and compare that to 50 Sundays per year to show up, What would this indicate? The absenteeism my wife is describing is impious to say the least.

I don't get it. I never truly believed so going was always a pain. Even at my high on this mass opiate point of my life, I always experienced a reticence to go and languor when "The Block" time was approaching.

But what of these folks? In my experience, many people who seem "dye-in-the-wool" believers also seem to have the unfortunate habit of falling sick mostly on Sundays. Maybe these people's health really is this bad and they are missing a lot of work as well?

I have a hunch that what is really at work is literally not belief but a "The Natural Man." These people probably have their priorities straight with regards to food on the table yet this rectitude falls on the shoulder of their "Iron Rod" road. The wheel they are "pushing along" is running along their shoulder of their "straight and narrow."

Not that I would fault them for not putting more stock in their afterlife than their actual life, but this sign of tepid attendance in our "days of probation" points me to thinking these latter day "saints" aren't really as stead fast in their faith as say Luther or Calvin? Both of whom couldn't be considered saints but were both crazy about faith.

What is a "Mormon" Saint? I believe it is someone who lets a Pizza Hut Priesthood authority guide them with McNuggets of Faith.

How else to describe people for which their beliefs inform all sorts of preconceived notions, biases, and prejudices without much thought. It is kind of like fast food. You know you are going to follow the trend in eating the stuff and you prefer one proffering of faith in your fast food but if you didn't buy it and just found something around the house to eat you would be just as satisfied.

It is like people I know who always get Pizza Hut (my in-laws) because that is their pizza. Heaven forbid not getting the proper pizza and going to California Pizza Kitchen. They are too liberal in their pizza authority. But because of my indigestion I can't get Pizza Hut every Sunday. Too painful. I'll just eat these old McNuggets out of The Ensign for some satisfaction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 06:06PM

For many Mormons going to Church on Sunday is a "spiritual feast" like the GA's say.

But for many others it's an unpleasant requirement that they do enough to satisfy themselves that they are "active" but find it pleasant to avoid if the proper excuse presents itself. Of course nobody can actually say out loud that it's a boring and soul-killing experience. They have to say "I really wanted to be there but XXXXX happened unexpectedly."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 06:11PM

baura Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For many Mormons going to Church on Sunday is a
> "spiritual feast" like the GA's say.

How so? I've heard it time and again and I still can't get past the 3 hour bore that is "fast faith." Drive in, get something tried and (for them) true and leave. Even my in-laws can't take the pablum all the time. They have to have a steady diet of unMormon books and movies to keep them happy in Mormonism.

My wife's McNuggets of faith which she seems to enjoy but is about as satisfying as a diet of fast food, still likes to listen to me talk about philosophies of men.

> "I really wanted to be there but XXXXX
> happened unexpectedly."

LOL. She gets calls like this all the time. My favorite are the pathetic excuses like I just can't shake this headache.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.