Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: liberalbutteffer ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 08:09PM

I was a convert to the cult and only after 8 years did I leave. My cousin who converted me as this obnoxious attitude that only Mormon marriages in the temple will last after this life. My cousin has made it very clear to me she thinks that my relationship with my boyfriend will never amount to her marriage with her husband in the temple and that she thinks that if we really loved each other, we would convert. If it wasn't for the fact that she was pregnant at the time, I would have decked her. What do you say to people with this kind of attitude? Any similar experiences?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dclarkfan1 ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 08:17PM

I'd say to her there are couples that are not mormon that have been happily married for 40-50 years.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 08:55PM

I see the same myopic attitude in many Christians who say only those who accept Jesus are "saved."

It's really annoying. They know no such thing. They reveal a lot in their admission that they approve of such an idea and go along with such an intolerant and xenophobic statement.

We're so special. We are God's favorite pets. You're screwed in the afterlife because you don't believe like me.

Of course there are these types in most religions.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 11, 2012 10:20PM

I think every religious group has some notion that there are special places in an after life for certain family members, some with the golden roads, and some ...well... more in the fire and brimstone category!

The more I compare Mormonism with other religions the more they are all alike in so many ways.

The problem, as I see it, is the focus on an afterlife as some kind of reward or punishment, rather than just living and enjoying life and not being so concerned about religious rituals, rules and regulations.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 01:15AM

"Wait a minute. You're telling me that I should worship a deity who will hold my family hostage in order to make me worship him? Why would I want to do that? Any loving deity would have loving family members together."

Of course, one of my favorite responses was a British comedian who went on a tour some religious building in SLC. When the woman was explaining about being with their families forever together he blurted out: "But what if you've been GOOD?" (He was thinking of alcoholic aunts and "funny" uncles, etc. I was thinking of my angry parents. lol)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 01:16AM by Rebeckah.

Posted by: quatermass ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 08:05AM

> Of course, one of my favorite responses was a
> British comedian who went on a tour some religious
> building in SLC. When the woman was explaining
> about being with their families forever together
> he blurted out: "But what if you've been GOOD?"
> (He was thinking of alcoholic aunts and "funny"
> uncles, etc. I was thinking of my angry parents.
> lol)

That would have been "Cracker" star Robbie Coltrane. I'm not sure if the series is available on DVD.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 04:38AM

My wife and I were married in the temple. I and all of our children but one have left the church. So in the next life, I will be together with all the "bad" kids and relatives, and my wife will be with only one child.

I don't think sealing is about being together, because most everybody is going to be together anyway, but about who gets to have sex in the next world.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 04:50AM

The sealing thing always had me worried.
If true, it meant I was stuck to the people I was sealed to. And wouldn't get to be around the people I wasn't sealed to.

Out of all the people I am sealed to i only chose one of them. I would like to be unsealed to him.
I would also like to be unsealed to parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. There is an entire side of the family I want nothing to do with, i'm sealed to them. I didn't choose it.
The people I would like to be sealed to are quite a few friends and my 2 kids. nope. can't do that. The system is hopelessly flawed and makes no sense to me.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 05:42AM

and yet they end up seperated at death, EVERYONE of them, just like others with more conventional marriages that they hold in so much contempt, so, MORmONS love to blabber about having something that they dont have. IDIOTS !

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 10:15AM

By Mormonism's own doctrine, most Mormons who are married in the temple won't get to keep their spouses either!

Only the very highest degree of glory, the top tier of the Celestial kingdom, get to be married. And they will only get to keep their spouse if they *BOTH* make it here. And they will only get to be with their children and parents if *THEY* make it here too!

By my reckoning, most Mormons won't make the highest degree of glory, a smaller percentage of those will make it with their spouses, and there will only be a tiny fraction who have their entire families with them.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 10:31AM

It's not that only Mormons can be together forever, it's because no one else wants to spend eternity with a bunch of TBMs.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 10:36AM

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 03:09PM

forbiddencokedrinker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's not that only Mormons can be together
> forever, it's because no one else wants to spend
> eternity with a bunch of TBMs.

my exit from MORmONISM took flight when I realized that even if there was a MORmON celestial kingDUMB, I did NOT want to go there !!!!

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 02:00PM

If Mormon Female brides believe their Temple Marriage to husband is for Eternity and in the event of the death of the said husband it's only just a temporary period of being apart until the female dies then why do some LDS widowed females remarry for 'time'?

What do they tell their husband in the resurrection when he calls them out of the grave? "By the way next door neighbour Joe was a good lover"? lol

It's (LDS) morally no different from temporarily shacking up with another bloke while the husband is working 6 months overseas.

No TBM Mormon has ever been able to answer me this.

For a Mormon man there is no moral dilemma as he gets to keep (supposedly)all his marriages in the coming CK polygamously.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: February 12, 2012 03:02PM

That gives me control of the conversation and completely changes the subject to their belief in magical thinking.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.