Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Searching Truth ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 03:45PM

Okay, not really, but...

As a ragin' TBM, I had a brother that was a "non-member" (he still is to this day, luckily). He actually married an LDS gal, who apparently didn't mind marrying a Gentile.

Even though I wished and prayed with all my heart that he would see the light, he never wanted anything to do with the Morg. I remember talking one time to my TBM mother, and saying something like, "Yeah, it's going to take a horrible life event (like one of his sons dying) for DB to have his heart softened enough to listen to and accept the Gospel."

At that moment, trying to have an eternal perspective, I almost wished something would happen to one of his 2 sons. That way, DB would accept the Gospel, they could go to the temple as a family, and the deceased son could be sealed to them, and they would have eternity as a family. Seemed to make perfect sense at the time, right?

I realize now what that was a horrible thing to have thought, but just goes to show you how screwed up the Morg makes you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 03:54PM

As messed up as that logic is, I'm sure you are not alone in having those kinds of thoughts. I would be willing to bet many members have had similar ideas of how the family could become "perfect".

A few months ago my sister in law died rather unexpectedly at age 41. They decided she was going to die anyway and took her off life support. My MIL didn't even go to the hospital to her bedside before the life support removal. She said there was nothing she could do and she knew her dd would be fine in the hereafter and they would be together again for eternity. She said her co-workers viewed her as being cold, but they just didn't understand the knowledge she had.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 04:01PM

It is so sad to been on that road. When my little boy died, I turned uber-mormon, after having been somewhat inactive, and studied like crazy (to make sure I see him again) Well, along with a few other 'co-incidents', I studied my way right out of moism. So, at least some good came out of it.

When a no-mo son of a Mormon friend died in a car accident, SO MANY members whispered "Aha!" I shudder when I think about it! I mean people DO die in car accidents. How rude to his parents.

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 04:22PM

Nina, I am so sorry for the loss of your son. I just can't imagine.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 08:45PM

One thing that impressed me with he ladies on the board is, how kind and compassionate they are about children.
Perhaps, that was the "Mormon carrot,"... to always have them, thus keep us in line. I 'personally' believe my little boy is in a very good place and I will see him again, along with my family, and yep! My pets :)
Again, thank you and Cheryl (if you read this). It meant alot!

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: November 23, 2010 05:51PM

straight out of the old "I'd rather my son come home in a pine box than unworthy" handbook.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.