Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 05:11PM

First time I read this I was furious. Answers the question "do they only seal people who were married when alive. In what world do these polygamous sealings equate to a legal marriage?

This is taken from: http://www.rickross.com/groups/polygamy.html

Polygamous fundamentalists baptized by proxy into LDS Church, researcher says
The Salt Lake Tribune/June 3, 2009
By Kristen Moulton
Prominent fundamentalist Mormons, most of whom were excommunicated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for practicing polygamy while they were alive, have been posthumously re-baptized in LDS temples, a Salt Lake City researcher says.

Helen Radkey said in a new report that she obtained church records on 20 fundamentalists - from murderer Ervil LeBaron to Joseph Musser to Rulon Jeffs - showing that they've been baptized and have had their plural marriages "sealed" for time and eternity by proxy LDS members, one as recently as this year.

Radkey, who was briefly a member of the church years ago, has previously delved into LDS proxy baptisms of a range of prominent people, from Adolph Hitler to Ted Bundy to President Obama's mother, as well as Jews who died in the Holocaust. The later ordinances angered Jewish leaders, who first protested 14 years ago.

The LDS Church teaches that those who have died and are in the spirit world can accept or reject baptisms and other ordinances performed on their behalf by church members in temples. Under pressure from various religious groups for more than a decade, however, the church has reminded members to submit only their own ancestors' names for proxy ordinances.

"Our policy for submitting names for temple work is well documented," LDS Church spokesman Scott Trotter said Tuesday. "We have been over this ground before, and we're not going to keep revisiting it."

Radkey said it's not clear from the records whether descendants submitted the names of fundamentalists.

But performing the proxy ordinances for men who were booted from the church for clinging to the early Mormon practice of plural marriage shows "polygamy is the going thing in the hereafter," for the LDS, she said.

The LDS Church officially stopped practicing plural marriage in the 1890s, and today excommunicates those who defy church teaching on the matter.

"The LDS Church appears to be reinventing its polygamous history, as it ushers excommunicated Mormon fundamentalists back into the LDS fold through a postmortem back door," Radkey wrote in her report.

Among the ordinances Radkey said she found in her research, was that Rulon Allred, leader of the Apostolic United Brethren who was murdered in 1977 on orders from Ervil LeBaron, head of a rival group, was baptized in 2001, 2002, 2008 and on Jan. 29 this year in the Ogden Temple. He also was sealed to two of his wives last December in the same temple.

LeBaron, who was believed to have killed a brother and ordered the death of his own child, died in a Utah prison in 1981. He was baptized by proxy in 2004, Radkey said.

Rulon Jeffs, father to Warren Jeffs, president of the largest fundamentalist group, the FLDS, died in 2002. He was baptized and endowed in 2005, and sealed to his parents in 2006, all in the St. George temple.

Perhaps the most puzzling ordinances, Radkey said, are those that "seal" women to men whom they had divorced, mostly over the polygamy issue.

Among the polygamists "sealed" to wives they were divorced or separated from are Allred, Jeffs, LeBaron, Charles Zitting, Alma D. LeBaron and Joseph W. Musser, she said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 05:17PM

Everyone knows the LDS hard stance on polygamy is all about PR.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 06:02PM

They don't in Africa. I understand families are broken up in order to join the church. Can anyone confirm?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 09:10AM

Polygamy is alive and well in many African cultures. Mostly it is in the form of money and being in a good situation. The Congolese employees where I worked did very well, considering. They got paid well and on time, which is very rare in any African country. When they became well-situated after a certain period, it was just expected that the men would marry another (invariably younger) woman and begin another family. If they were interested in the church, they were supposed to somehow clear all that up and no longer have multiple families, but I sincerely doubt that they could do that. There just wouldn't be the ability to track all this down and hold the people to it.

Date: February 17, 2012 09:12AM

// wrong location //

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 09:16AM by cludgie.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 06:15PM

LDS doctrine allows a LIVING man to be sealed to two women at the same time today. If you are divorced in civil law from your first wife that you had married in the temple, then marry another wife by civil law you can get permission to be sealed / married to both at the same time in the temple. Usually the ex-wife (wife #!) has to provide permission for the ex-husband to be sealed to the new wife (wife #2).

How easy is that to get around if you want to live a polygamous life. Just get a civil divorce from wife #1 and leave the temple sealing in place and get temple married to the next wife.....now you are a praticing polygamous with the blessing of heaven.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 06:19PM

Except you'd get exed if you were still having sex / cohabitating with the first wife.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 06:41PM

If you and two women wanted to pull this off so the "sealing blessings of the new and everlasting covenent" were pronounced upon all three of the people (one man and two women). Then it would be easy to do. When the temple marriages/sealings were all complete it would be easy to live in a new area and not tell others or move to southern Utah like the rest of the polygamous couples.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:19AM

The FLDS do necro dunkings too - they do it for the so called mainstream Mos. Think about that!

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:40AM

Polygamy will always be endorsed by TSCC - it is in the so called doctrine.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:48AM

I don't give a flying shiz who they marry me to, what church they baptize me into. It does not mean anything.

It's just a bunch of people who think it means something to them.
They are hoping to get to heaven on my back.

I refuse to validate their nuttiness by letting them think it means anything to me.

I don't give a shit if they marry me to God himself. They are just plain delusional. They can marry me, seal me, and baptize me until hell freezes over. It means nothing. Zip.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 03:22AM

LDS INC reserves the right to nullify, and to reinstate any LDS ordinance by simple decree, and often does nullify and reinstate the ordinances of run of the mill modern day members, how ever LDS INC has not nullified any of Pervert Joe's or Brig Young's plural marriages. That makes it very hard to take seriously Gordon BS Hinckley's declaration about LDs INC having "nothing whatever to do with" polygamy.

Date: February 17, 2012 09:17AM

I think it could be summed up like this: Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacey were mass murderers. LDS people convicted of murder are excommunicated. I have no idea whether Bundy, who was LDS at one time, was excommunicated thereafter. But there doesn't seem to be anything wrong at all with baptizing them again after they're dead. The LDS church is quite simply too weird and there's no reason to believe that you'll figure it out.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 09:25AM

Yes, Section 132 of the D&C. Isn't that enough?

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.