Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 05:45PM

The few black mormons I know have little or no knowledge of their own culture.

Basically, they're rootless, and found their roots (such as they pathetically are) in mormonism.

It's quite sad. A TBM friend of Mrs. Hela (who was an adult convert to mormonism) is currently planning her wedding reception. She is mixed race (black and white), and made some statement about an "African theme".

When I asked, "African how? Kenyan? Ghanaian? West African? East African?" I was met with a blank, clueless stare.

So much for the church that "turns the hearts of the sons to the fathers".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 05:46PM by helamonster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 10:09PM

I still don't get why they would be interested. Have they never seen a Gen. Conference? ALL the white faces. Have they never heard of the horrible things said about the African Am. race before '78. And just where would this African theme be-wht reception hall? Would a bishop approve? Would anybody go? I am speaking of Mormons. Of course the nevermos would go and love it. The Mormons that came to my daughter's reception(she wasn't yet Mormon) were just siting there like LOGS....no smiles, no intermingling. Only the young ones danced and had fun.We had no theme....just a gorgeous fall wedding with lots of flowers, good food and music.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 16, 2012 10:27PM

African Americans - many of their ancestors have been here longer than mine. I guess I'm Euro American. What's my cultural theme? I guess based on food items. Apple pie and hot dogs.

Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:19AM

I think it's being self unaware. I'm also mixed race (black and White) at the time of joining the church I did not identify with my 'blackness' at all and I look White most of the time so I pretended i was.
I'm not sure if anyone is from the north of England area, but if so they'll know that the numbers of African immigrants are rising really quickly much to the missionary's delight.
These are good hardworking god believing people, who I think the missionaries take advantage of. I wonder if they'd still be baptised if they knew the church thought they were uncouth and uncomely.

Posted by: Yorkie ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 04:54AM

I'm from the north of England, & yes I noticed before I left that most of the few converts we had were immigrants/assylum seekers.

I was a member at the time of the 1978 "revelation", & it was shortly after that that our ward had its first black family join, & from that moment until I left the church some 30 years later, I knew a few black members, some very well, (all of whom joined after 1978) but I always used to wonder if they knew about the priesthood ban pre 1978.
It wasn't until I left the church & came to this & other exmormon sites & read all the things that had been said by past leaders that I learned how bad the blatent racism was, & I'd already thought it was bad enough.
It was thoroughly disgusting & unforgivable, & the undertones are still there today.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:30AM

Not just uncouth and uncomely but any mixed white and black marriage should have both bride and groom put to death immediately. Now that's just what Jesus would do, no? PPLLEEAAZZEE!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.