Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 09:35AM

We have been discussing in other threads the theory of counter-love bombing, and several board members think we should actually set aside a day to make our move together. My suggestion would be that we do it on a fast Sunday. This would give us plenty of time to leave plates of cross shaped cookies (or devil's food cake, whatever you plan on leaving) while the Mos are at church, and plus they would be extra hungry when they got home, and would have a hard time convincing their children why they need to throw away the apostate cookies.

We then leave an anonymous letter talking about the joy we have found since leaving the church, and how we want to share our happiness with them. You might even include your anti-testimony, the little tidbit of Mormon doctrine or history that made you realize that it was all BS. Conclude by telling them you know they will see the light, and unconvert, since you learned in the church how effective anonymous plates of cookies are at making people change their world views.

Any other suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:25AM

I'm all for that. Fast sunday is a great idea. a little print out inside of a card with a tiny bite of info. Maybe directing them to mormon think.

Is the first sunday in march good? No conferences going on? I think this would be great fun. I would imagine some great stories might come of this.

Posted by: Tngal1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:32AM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:44AM

Sometimes people don't understand how rude they are being until they see it from the other side. Then, if they are nice people, they think "Wow... now I get it. I won't do that any more."

I was very, very lucky to have a mom who had to see everything from both sides. As a kid, it drove me crazy because I only wanted her to see it from MY side - to take MY side in any situation. But she always made me sit down and look at things from the other person's point of view. Now, it's one of the things I'm most grateful she taught me. I'm still not as good at it as she is. Sometimes I still need to have the other side explained to me. But I'm in the habit of looking at things both ways for the most part. And I realize there IS another side and other people may see the same situation completely differently from me. And that isn't a THREATENING thing. It's just reality. So I don't feel attacked (for the most part) when someone sees things differently and usually don't feel my self-worth is on the line defending my point of view.

I realize I'm lucky but it still surprises me how incapable some people are of putting themselves in someone else's shoes. Sometimes you can't just say your point because they can't comprehend it. You have to put it into terms they will understand. If you really want to communicate with them, that is. Another way of putting it is that you can't explain something in English to someone who only speaks Spanish. You have to change languages. It's not about teaching them a lesson as much as trying to get your point across so you both understand each other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 11:45AM by CA girl.

Posted by: Tngal1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:26PM

Retaliating in kind, when you find the act repulsive and offensive doesn't seem to get any point across except that you have no respect for how they feel either.

I'm not saying I know the perfect solution or that it won't make them wake up and smell the roses about how offensive it is to you. But you already know how offensive it is to have cookies left on your porch in the hope of getting you back to church. Doing it with the intentions of offending them seems worse than what they are doing. They are so brainwashed they can't see it as offensive and find it as a good way to make you see they are friendly and kind and have a wonderful message.

Poor brainwashed fools, I'm not sure what is the perfect solution but I guess being mean to them would make some feel better. I know there is really nothing you can say to them to make it stop you can try and tell them, but I know that doesn't always work. Perhaps for some making the same gesture in hopes it will give them an epiphany of some kind would be great, but like talking to them, I'm sure it would be taken as you are anti-mormon and need to be taught in the ways of mo'ism because you obviously with your cross and fish shaped cookies don't know how offensive these things are to the lard. So maybe it could backfire. ugh! What to do what to do?

Because we all know The Lord truly revels in cornflake topped casseroles, hard overly frosted sugar cookies, and carrot drizzled green jello salad.

Date: February 17, 2012 11:53AM

No, because this is not going to be a constant thing. It is the difference between people who protest because they have a real issue, and a nutcase who walks around the streets with a cardboard sign, everyday, to bring attention to his delusions.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 05:10PM

They are saying what they routinely do is acceptable. It's their culture and it's normal in their own eyes. So if others do the same kinds of things with mormons, they are not going outside of normal mormon bounds. But what can happen if mormons are honest is that they take on a new perspective. Some of them realize that what has always seemed nice and friendly is no longer comfortable. They start looking at their own behavior and noting that they don't like it when others treat them in mormon ways.

So the outcome is either that the mormon grows in their level of understanding or they at least are treated as well as they treat others.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:55AM

to do it the evening before fast Sunday and make sure it looks extra tasty.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:16PM

What makes LDS love bombing annoying is they keep doing it.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:47PM

Every fast Sunday during a year?

Date: February 17, 2012 12:19PM

So we are agreed. Operation Cookie Bomb is set for the first Sunday of March?

Date: February 17, 2012 12:20PM

One more thing. This goes without saying, but make sure any treats left are actually treats. Last thing we need is for the TBMs to wave around a laxative cupcake as proof about how evil we apostates are.

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:20PM

It's OK, they shat their brains out a long, long time ago...best now to give them something soft and gooey to fill their empty heads with.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:58PM

If you're seriously doing this on March 1, remember to take pictures of the love bombs for all of us to see.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:06PM

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 04:27PM

If you're going to do it on March 4, do you think you could send me some sugar-free cookies? It's my burf-day that day, and other than the hopeful trip to a new dim sum-mery.

Date: February 17, 2012 01:19PM

I'm In.

Are we leaving them for people we choose? Or all bishops? Stake presidents, or the RSP?

Will it make a bigger statement for us to all do the same person?
Like the bish?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:29PM

What a great idea!

I love everything about your post.

I would suggest some of the following helpful ideas might be considered:

1. Ads for normal underwear in case TBMs are ready to indulge.

2. Coupons for supermarket or Starbucks coffee.

3. Suggested planned Parenthood volunteer opportunities.

4. Books or pamphlets on effective birth control measures.

5. My favorite printout is from Richard Packham, a perfect little threefold information sheet on the realities of mormon temple rituals. I have copies in my luggage whenever I travel. They're great for bedside reading next to the Bibles in hotels and motels.

Date: February 17, 2012 01:36PM

+1

Date: February 17, 2012 01:42PM

The bishop it is.

A nice little tea and cookie platter with info about my beliefs, and where they can find more information when the spirit moves them.

I will laugh if there are cookie already on the doorstep when I get there. That will mean I have a lurker somewhere nearby.

Speaking of lurkers, I would like to invite all of you to join in on our RFM cookies for the uninformed project.

Date: February 17, 2012 01:34PM

Crap, now I gotta figure out where the Bishop for my area lives. I know where some Mishies stay, I might bomb them instead.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:25PM

Yes, I do have a suggestion, but it's illegal still in most states and it's probably illegal to spike baked goods and leave them on anyone's doorstep anonymously, regardless of what you spiked the baked good with.

Rum balls might be a nice legal way to "get back at 'em" with your own brand of love bombing. "We miss you down at the pub!"

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:33PM

Besides, they are establishing precedents for prosecuting folks who spike food & beverages in Utah:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/15/selena-irene-york-sentenced-antifreeze-smoothie_n_1278072.html

Admittedly, this fool used antifreeze, but I think alcoholic beverages in Utah would be seen as a similar kind of poison...
;-)

Date: February 17, 2012 02:45PM

I'm only spiking with information.
Thats more of a jolt than they want.

I'm not interested in making anyone sick. I truly would just like them to be informed.

Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:52PM

...well almost anyway.

Date: February 17, 2012 08:18PM

So I have settled on sugar cookies. Only problem is now I got to think of a shape. Crosses were a clever idea, but I want something that expresses me a little more. Anyone know if I can get a cookie cutter that expresses atheism?

Date: February 17, 2012 08:40PM

A big letter A?

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:09AM

Like the scarlet letter?

Posted by: moonbeam ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:30PM

Date: February 18, 2012 09:38AM

I think the second one, though I don't know if it could be shipped in time. I would put frosting over the center, to spell the letters LDS in place of the giant M.

Date: February 18, 2012 12:38PM

OK, here is what I am going to do. You can buy cookie cutters for the different letters of the alphabet. I am going to buy a V an L, and a lowercase l, and I am going to make a set of cookies, and arrange them in the shape of the temple markings. Of course I will have to use white frosting.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.