Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: abacab08 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 10:16AM

Where to begin?

Been clerk for 3 yrs and oh the stories I can tell.

So any others here have dunking for dollars in your location?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:13PM

Please, do tell. I'd love to hear all sorts of stories.

And explain what "dunking for dollars" is.

Posted by: sivab1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:49PM

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:52PM

Love good church stories. They validate my decision to leave. Because of a few good stories I know my experiences have been the norm not the exception.

Please, tell away.

Date: February 17, 2012 01:51PM

Lets see. This couple was investigating the church for a while (I know Im in the morning gossip hours). They suddenly get baptised.

Dunkin for dollars is simple. The only reason they got baptised is so they can take advantage of the "Church".

I didn't have their records...And yet I cut checks for them.

Alot of cash maybe $1500 or so. You name it I paid it. Except satelite.

And about the same amount this month two.

Someone must of mentioned the welfare system to them (miss, etc)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:53PM

Yes, I've seen people join for the welfare benefits. Usually doesn't last long though. They are soon off to some other group with welfare benefits.

Date: February 17, 2012 01:58PM

Well we will see how long they last. Numerous occassions of this.

And numerous stories of people "reactivating for dollars"

Just did another $1500 to a family...They say they stopped smoking...but bills smell of smoke.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:50PM

How many families in your ward/ stake are getting this type of support? Is there a time stipulation?

What about lifetime members? Are they getting help when they need it? If not, why not? If so, do they have to do anything for the church in return?

Posted by: informer ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:53PM

You know what they say: Birds of a feather.

If you don't want to foot the bill, you always have the option to walk.

Date: February 17, 2012 02:57PM

Mia,

Time is usually up to bishop or branch president.

One recent baptised. One inactive.

Lifetime members One.

Lifetime members trying one. He ran up over 10K in med expenses and keeps beggin. Just realised recently he didn't need help. Conversation so loud I heard everthing in my office.

BTW: The bishops office is not sound proof

Posted by: XX-Man ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 05:50PM

Since you are a ward clerk, you must still be active, but since you are on this site you must have some doubts; so just where do you stand and does the bishop have any idea if you are a closet doubter or non-believer? Just interested to hear some of your story.

Date: February 20, 2012 09:48AM

Doubts of course.

It is highly entertaining....

And no one knows.

Temple was my worst experience

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 09:58AM

It's great to have your experience on the board. Thanks for posting! Keep the stories coming.

Can we get some info on roughly how much tithing your ward brings in each year, as well as how many members are on the rolls and your general location? As you may be aware, there is much concern over how much money the church brings in overall compared to where that money seems to be going - with a fraction of a percent of the estimated amount actually going to charitable sources. The church won't release its finances (I wonder why?), so we're forced to speculate. Six-figure GA stipends, BYU, massive amounts of land, a staggering PR department, expensive and highly-adorned temples...

Date: February 20, 2012 10:04AM

All I can say is it is a 300 member ward. About 100 active

Approx 250K (I do tithing settlement).

It is highly funny where the financial assistance goes to.

And a budget of about 6K

All tithing goes to SLC

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 10:43AM

I've never been involved with the financial side of the church, but it seems to me that at the ward level there are two types of assistance - general welfare and medical. Is this true? I've heard that it's kind of hard for a common latter-day saint to get the first kind of help. Do you know what the specific requirements are for each? How much sway does the bishop's opinion carry?

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 10:49AM

It's quite easy to get the first type of assistance - welfare.

People who don't attend church at all commonly get their rent paid and food provided for them. It's typically a lot easier if you have children in the home, but not necessary.

The bishop has full discretion over what he chooses to do with the fast offerings collected in his ward.

If the bishop wants to spend more money on assistance than is collected as fast offerings in his ward then he has to work a lot harder to get extra money.

Date: February 20, 2012 10:52AM

Its all grouped into Fast Offerings. Funds controlled by SLC (yeah not local funds). Meaning all tithing and offerings go to SLC where they magically cover fast offering checks.

You can get insurance, car payment, dr bills, etc. Only exception is satellite TV.

It is not difficult to get assistance, just need a good sob story. But most BIC are trained not to ask. Bishop decides whether or not the sob story is accurate. He has "special powers" to descide the truth. He fills out a needs analysis form to help him, but most times he doesn't

Once bishop signs off, I would cut the checks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.