Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:41AM

The close proximity of the proposed temple to NuSkin MLM headquarters is rich...

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/53532769-78/church-provo-tabernacle-temple.html.csp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mormonisn't ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:52PM

I'm goin out on a limb here- me thinks David Graves is Mormon..

From the article..

"David Graves, the city’s engineer, said earlier the study found that closing the road improved traffic flow in the downtown area."

CLOSING A ROAD IMPROVES TRAFFIC?

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 03:10PM

mormonisn't Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CLOSING A ROAD IMPROVES TRAFFIC?

At the risk of sounding like an apologist, this actually makes some sense. The grid pattern of Utah streets makes for an awful lot of intersections. Intersections mean people turning and merging and that slows down traffic. By removing intersections it really does speed things up. It also keeps through traffic off of the smaller roads,
That being said improving traffic is just how they are gonna sell this and not the church’s goal.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 02:32PM

Yes this is one of those paradoxes. In some cases REMOVING a road improves traffic flow. I used to do a demonstration in physics classes where I had a weight suspended by rubber bands which were attached to strings and to the weight. By cutting one of the supporting strings the weight rose UP. Strange but true.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:20PM

I recall that the Provo post office is on that street...so how would that be handled? I hated it when they bought that section of Main Street in Salt Lake and I am not in favor of them buying up 100 South in Provo, either.

Posted by: Tngal1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:25PM

Posted by: Tngal1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:27PM

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 03:39PM

They're closing POs in my city. Maybe this is one that will be slated to close?

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:47PM

to accomodate LDS, Inc.

Really, what other entity can buy outright a public road?

How does one determine the fair market value of a road?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:54PM

They did that in Kirtland Ohio too. The road was dividing their hysterical site into 3 different pieces. They bought the road, and built a new one to go around the buildings they were restoring.

Your tithing dollars at work. The senior missionary told us it cost around 10 million dollars for that little road rearranging.
They had to move gas and power lines, put up stop lights, signs and crosswalks and sidewalks.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:01PM

I would guess that changing use of a street (or buying some portion of it) is not that uncommon when reconstructing property use. That seems to be the issue here. The LDS church wants to turn the Provo Tabernacle into a Temple and needs more property. It will probably be approved.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:58PM

Maybe they already found the cause of the fire--let me guess--electrical fire started spontaneously in the walls.

Anagrammy the Suspicious

Posted by: Unchained ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:59AM

It seems like there are easier ways to convert a building into a temple than burning it down. A report was released that the cause of fire was error on the part of a lighting technician who had recently set a 300 watt fixture on top of a wood box. That and poor response time to the fire once identified were the primary causes according to the report.

It is a shame that a beautiful multi-purpose cultural landmark is being turned into another exclusive bath/theater/lounge club. The clubs aren't any fun either: you have to bath in your clothes, they are always playing the same godawful films, and you can't even talk in the lounge! And don't get me started on the prices they charge for membership!

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 04:03PM

Since they already have Temple Square in SLC, they need Temple Spare in Provo!

Posted by: mormonisn't ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:04PM

They did it in Manti a couple years ago.
They bought (or were given) the city road west of the temple.

wonder why when it had no problems for over 100 years?

coincidence the TSCC got the road???

not when the "37 wives of Joesph Smith showed up
at the Manti Peagent in peaceful protest on a public street. 37 women of near the age of Joes wives educated some TBMs... or in their words "persecuted" them.

skip the ad - well worth watching - what would you do if you saw this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhzU4iXLxQ

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:18PM

Yep. This is the real reason. The Corporation now requires a no-free speech buffer zone around every temple.

I can only imagine how accomodating Provo City would be if say, an Islamic organization wanted to buy the road for their new mosque.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:42PM

It would be great to see a REAL pioneers day parade. All of JS and BY's wives marching single file through downtown. It would be fun and interesting to see the true history presented in parade form.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 03:19PM

i think it's a great idea - every municipality in the country should do this - just sell main street to the highest bidder

it'd generate a little cash up front and save save the city on maintenance costs

not to mention the new owner will be providing the 'security' so the city won't need police around

if the owner doesn't like what you have to say then they should be able to just throw you out of heart of your own city

that's the future america i want to live in...

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 05:21AM

Provo city and LDS INC are the same basic entity if you think about it.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:22AM

Nothing to do with anything, but for some reason every time I see this thread title I think of the song by Johnny Cash about wandering thru streets made of gold that exmo Shawn McCraney uses to open Heart of the Matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3YFmpSFJ40

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:01AM

My boyfriend's sister is an exmormon and when we went down there in September to visit, she told us to drive by the temple as they are clearing land around the temple there, too--and have bought up property.

As for improving traffic, even as a TBM, I thought what they did in SLC with that block was insane.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 12:55PM

Will it be taking off and returning to Kolob?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.