Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: European View ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:42AM

My boy's back in hospital. He was scheduled for surgery, but should have been in and out, Instead, his pain is so severe he has had to be admitted and is on morphine.

This all stems from unnecessary surgery he had while in the provo mtc. They were in such a hurry to get him out in the mission field he was operated on without a definite diagnosis, on the grounds that it couldn't hurt.

Well it did. Because of my son's actual condition, the surgery did a great deal of harm. I wonder if he will ever be in good health again.

Missions, dangerous in so many ways. Be warned, TSCC doesn't give a damn about your son or daughter, they are just an anonymous sales person.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:52AM

I'm so sorry he has to go through this.
Hopefully it will all go well and he will be back to himself soon. Being in pain is no fun.

Date: February 17, 2012 12:01PM

Thanks Mia

He has been in nearly constant pain since that first surgery, so coming up to 6 years now. he had his first respite after surgery last summer, but it didn't last. So they have operated more extensively this time, and his pancreas doesn't like it one little bit.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:57AM

You must be really angry about it as well as worried. I had surgery on my mission in Argentina and the church didn't let my mother, a non-Mormon, know how it turned out and she couldn't reach anyone to find out. Worried her sick and she's still angry with the church over 30 years later. I don't blame her a bit.

Date: February 17, 2012 12:05PM

Yes worried and angry.

He was 'allowed' to call us for five minutes the night before his original surgery. He was only twenty and in pain and thousands of miles from home. We stupidly trusted the doctors, whereas if all this had been taking place at home we would have asked more questions.

What fools we were as TBMs.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:01PM

Oh, I'm so sorry! For you and your son. Not only is you son in pain but your pain is real too because you love him and wish you could take it away from him. I hope with all my heart that he will soon be well and you will both feel better.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:02PM

or can you sue the fuckers?

sorry to hear your news. Hope things improve.

Date: February 17, 2012 12:10PM

He has consulted with a number of lawyers about sueing but because we are in the UK and also the amount of time that has passed no-one has been prepared to take up his case.

So not for lack of will on his part, even when he was still TBM.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:32PM

First, I'm sorry to hear that this is happening to your son.

Why don't you step up the game and take his story to the "court of public opinion?"

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:04PM

I am so sorry. Wishing you and your son the best.

I'm not so sure I believe in karma but when I read stories like yours, I really hope it exists.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:21PM

Just look at Mitt Romney and what the greed for more power and prestige is doing to the Mormon Church because they just couldn't be satisfied with yanking the strings on only 14 million people (not that I believe that figure--more like 4)

AND...City Creek Mall. Cannot WAIT to go there the minute it opens because it will be closing soon and become (in my dream) a farmers market....

HAHAHAHA!

In my own family, I see over time my own family all reaping what they sowed IN THIS LIFE, not in some reincarnated whatever.

Ana

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:12PM

Oh, I hope things work out for him! So hard to see your child in pain!

I have a twenty eight year old who is needing a third surgery for a herniated disk. He's a strapping weight lifter who is in tears from the pain.

My youngest son had several lung surgeries before his mission, and I am so thankful nothing went wrong while he was out.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:06PM

My best wishes for a full recovery!

Posted by: abacab08 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:37PM

Recover fast. Take care and solice in knowing the truth and the saying "what goes around comes around" We may not see it in our life but the "church" will get exposed as frauds someday

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 03:13PM

Good luck.

I am wishing your son well.

Date: February 17, 2012 03:19PM

Just heard from hospital. Son has been put on a morphine pump so he can have more control over his pain relief. They are assuming it is pancreatits again, because of symptoms, while they wait for blood results.

He is on the 11th floor and has amazing views over the Olympic stadium, although it's only his visitors appreciating that at the moment.

Thanks for everyone's good wishes.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 05:14PM

sending best wishes, EuropeanView, for your son in pain.

My oldest boy is also injured and ill since his mission 20 years ago.

Posted by: puck ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 10:07PM

Your son is about my age. if he every wants someone to complain about those crappy utahns with, feel free to contact me. dunno if you're in london just for the hospital or if you live there, but I'm in the north, though in london every month or two.

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 10:12PM

You and your son have my best wishes for his full recovery, European View.

Posted by: brownbearman ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 10:16PM

I am a physician and find it a little ridiculous to blame the surgeons of malpractice without any evidence. It sounds like he has a complicated and difficult medical condition. But to automatically blame the MTC or Surgeons without evidence is not right either. Pancreatic issues can be chronic, very painful and difficult to treat. I wish the best to you son.

Date: February 18, 2012 07:18AM

Dr bearman, I hear what you are saying. Of course we do have evidence of harm caused by the original surgery, but I doubt anyone would want to wade through pages of medical notes.

I don't blame the Provo doctor for not diagnosing the underlying pancreas problem, it was not easy to diagnose. What I do blame him for is deciding to operate with no test results indicating what he was about to do was necessary. He believed that it would do my son no harm and he was wrong in that. Cynically I also believe the fact that he would be paid for the surgery may have played into his decision.

I also know that if doctors over here had been proposing this surgery we would have asked more questions and probably asked for a second opinion. I doubt the surgery would have taken place. In itself this wouldn't have cured the underlying problem but neither would it have exacerbated it and it may have settled down.

I also blame the MTC for keeping us so ill-informed, as if we had no right to know what was happening to our son. It was extrememly difficult to find out how the surgery had gone - badly as it turns out.

A mission followed in which my son was often treated badly by his mission presidents. Being labelled 'Lazy' when he was recovering from dengue fever being one example. Summarily sent home 'without honour' one week before his mission was due to end because he had called home on the advice of a doctor. But only after waiting a week for his MP to do so. His MP diagnosed him from an island hundreds of miles away and decided he didn't need treatment. He was totally wrong. Surprise surprise.

So I think I have good grounds to blame the Provo doctor and the MTC for adversly affecting my son's health and for having no concern for their missionary force. Not ridiculous at all.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 08:25AM

E V you do have good grounds to blame who you blame. I am sitting here fuming. I have a grandson who may one day be treated as poorly as your son - just to get someone out in the mission field ASAP. They don't care about the individual. They don't care about his parents. It is like they own him and they make all the decisions. I am outraged. VENT away. You have every right. Again, hoping he is better soon.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:21PM

From my own experience, the morphine drip is kinda nice, like nice, cool water spreading out through your veins. Don't all crowd in on him at once after the surgery. He'll be better able to appreciate visits after a few days when he's less groggy and discombobulated. You just KBO as Winston Churchill would say.

Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:26PM

and pick me up from BYU and drive back home where I would spend the summer. While preparing to leave I stepped on a sewing machine needle...it shot into my foot quite a distance....barely left a mark. We went to the infirmary and a doctor with rotted teeth (my dad said this should have been the first clue...) told us to go ahead and drive back home....to the east coast...that it would be fine to wait until we got home to take care of it. Made it to CO and I was in such pain that we had to stop at a Denver hospital. The doctors couldn't believe a doctor had actually advised us to leave the needle in there....

Posted by: Eliza Snow job ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:29PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your son. It never ceases to amaze me how callous the church is about the lives if it's members.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 01:15AM

I am so sorry your son is in so much pain. And so sorry you have to watch him,knowing there is nothing you can do for him. I have heard many,many terrible stories about missionaries having serious health issues while on their missions,and the parents are barely aware of any of it. It makes me sick to think this stupid church feels they know more,and can do more for your child than you can. My son was in jail 3 times while he was on his mission (France) and we were never told a thing.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 03:00AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuN_ZDJKkPo

LDS INC really doesnt have much respect for those they so readiy exploit.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 03:34AM

Wishing only the best for you and your son. It's so hard for us parents when our children hurt and we can't really do anything to take away the pain. I totally understand.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 08:18AM

I am so sad to hear this. I truly hope he will be better soon. We are all thinking of him and you.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:18AM

My own knowledge of law is based on a BA course that contained a couple of law modules some years ago, so I am not a lawyer. But this might be an option:-

Get a lawyer in the USA to take this on a contingency no-win-no-fee basis.

My thinking is that the decision to have the initial operation done was taken in the USA. Therefore the action should rightly be launched not in the UK, but the USA, instead.

Are there any exmo lawyers in the USA on the board who could provide some advice on this matter?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 10:19AM by matt.

Date: February 18, 2012 05:10PM

Hi Matt,

It is US lawyers my son has been contacting. I think, basically, too much time has passed.

Although when my DIL wrote to Monson to tell him she thought TSCC didn't look after it's missionary force well enough - written with the respect of a TBM, the only thing she got back was a letter from TSCC's lawyers claiming the surgery was done at our insistence. Total lie.

So maybe they are still worried about legal claims.

At the moment my boy is ill with 'a particularly bad case of pancreatits' so that's my main concern now. I'm very grateful for everyone's kind thoughts.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 05:03PM

Evil rat-bastard scum.....soo glad I never exposed my son to the church...I knew in my heart it was a fraud...

Date: February 18, 2012 05:12PM

Wish I had, andyb, I really, really do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.