Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:42PM

I wonder is people realize that the program formerly known as the extraction program is used to harvest names for the temple, as Bushman admits in this article.

The program is now called the indexing program and anybody can participate over the internet through FamilySearch. They set up the site in various languages, even my native Dutch:

https://indexing.familysearch.org/newuser/nuhome.jsf?3.12.1

However, they don't say on the site what they use the names for. They claim it's to connect the peoples of the world and preserve their heritage and history but not a word about using the names in Mormon temple rituals.

I've contacted a Dutch genealogical researcher/journalist to ask him if he knows this and if there's a story there. Many non-Mormon people use the church's genealogical resources so this may be of some general interest.

I'll keep the board posted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:06PM

I was chatting at mormon.org about this and the missionaries told me that they only baptize family members that have been submitted!

What a relief.

Posted by: Tabula ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:08PM

And you believe that? LOLOLOLOL

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:26PM

or is this someone else?? tabula???

and perhaps the whole ancestry.com was thought up for this very reason!! to get names to dead dunk? whatcha think??
just sayin...the Mormon attitude is: hey it doesnt hurt anybody because they can refuse the "baptism"... wth?
but it does hurt people... here on this earth because a lot of people believe in the afterlife and they feel it is an intrusion upon their ancestors... and really it is!! just sayin!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 02:26PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:32PM

Not even for a second.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 08:10AM

And how do family names get submitted??? Is it all on the up and up??? Of course not. Unknowing people like myself were told this by my convert daughter "Mom, ____ wants to know some of our family who are deceased because she is putting together some family history since we are now married." I was not aware of B for the D and I gave her four deceased members names on our side of the family. Now, I can only GUESS what those names were really for....this happened like 6 wks. or two months after they were married. Am I pissed. YOU bet. Daughter may have known all along or maybe she didn't. I say that because she was not yet a member but I figured-sadly- she would be joining due to the pressure. And sure enough she did.

Oh, and I don't give a ____ if they think they are doing something good for the dead. Who are they to make that decision. What a stupid thing to say or even think!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 08:11AM by honestone.

Posted by: HopiBon! ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 02:22PM

That's because he's been getting married for the dead, touched on his naked body with an oily finger for he dead and raising his hands about his head, lowering them slowly while repeating the words "Oh God, hear the words of my mouth," repeated three times for the dead...

So he's all good.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 08:06PM

(from earlier today)

Good article. As a former Mormon ward and stake leader, I can see a few things that the public should Know: While the LDS church has promised "disciplinary actions" against anyone submitting the name of a Holocaust victim, this whole mess says more about the church's oversight incapability than it does about any errant LDS individual. It's very possible that the names just came by way of one of the massive databases the church draws from, and that the names were innocently put forward by a random member who will never be identified and who wasn't at fault. And while the church has taken great care to suck in millions of names and dates, it doesn't appear to have any particular method in place to screen and weed out bad names. Evidence of this includes the baptisms and "endowments" of Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun and other infamous Nazis, now "saved"–Mormon-style–along with their victimized Holocaust brethren and sisters, and the many, many instances of multiple ordinances for the same person, like Lucille Ball (baptized/endowed 5 times and sealed to two different husbands), Desi Arnaz (baptized/endowed 5 times, Babe Ruth (13 times), and my own parents (6 times).

Another thing that the public should know is that these "saving ordinances" represent the epitome, the apex, the acme, if you will, of the Mormon Experience–dressing in a white robe, a green fig leaf apron, and a baker's hat, and sitting for 2-3 hours though an "endowment session" (as stand-in for a dead person) performing the handshakes, tokens, and passwords that will sneak the dead person through the Pearly Gates into the Presence of God. It is dry and joyless, as is the LDS wedding experience, initially made to seal multiple wives to a man and totally devoid of romance.

While professing belief in Jesus, Mormons do not believe in unconditional love of Christ or salvation by grace. Mormons spurn those ides. Instead, salvation comes by church and temple attendance, performance of temple ordinances, and payment of 10% of gross income.

I got this cute comment from some TBM: Wow, which Mormon in your ward brought you the wrong casserole when you were sick and totally offended you?

I guess that's "Mormon" for, "Hey, who pissed in your Wheaties?"

Do your part! Contribute to the comments. This ain't gonna last forever.

Posted by: anonfornow ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 07:21AM

I don't really know how NONMORMONS can enforce what is and is not done in Temples. How does anyone know unless someone talks (and my understanding is that it is suppose to be too sacred to talk of outside of the temple).
I don't know, but it might somehow fall under the freedom of religion act. If they are not allowed to baptize for the dead (any dead) then they are not getting to practice part of their religious beliefs.
Then you have to wonder who has more religious freedom, the living or the dead!
Most people when I tell them this about Mormons, think that I am talking about some other Mormons than the ones they know, because "they are so nice". When I say, "No, the Salt Lake City Mormons do this", they just shake their heads and mutter something along the lines of "strange" or "weird".
It is a practice that some find offensive, others think it is "just too weird", and some people just don't give a damn!
Remember that Mormons think that they are doing something good for the dead and for themselves when they do this.

Posted by: Tuatha ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 01:23PM

bignevermo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/16/explainer
> -how-and-why-do-mormons-baptize-the-dead/?hpt=hp_t
> 3
>
> discuss!

“Every person matters. Perhaps it is this feeling that prompts millions to seek out their family history. For most, records of their ancestors provide key links to their past.” https://indexing.familysearch.org/newuser/nuhome.jsf?3.12.1

Think about it! How far back are Mormon temple workers prepared to go to do this work of dead dunking? To Lucy? To Arid? Most studies in cultural anthropology show that relational ties are maintained for about three generations of ancestors and three generations of descendants, with the “speaker” in the middle.

The image that information produces of the Mormon family tree, if they plan to do temple work for all of their ancestors, is of an ever widening, ever branching tree and, presumably, would eventually entail all people ever born. The idea of “families are forever” thus produces the image of a very crowded “family” that would no doubt include some pretty hairy characters. Kinda hard to hold a family reunion with this bunch!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.