Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 12:40PM

Here's an article about the Mormon card being played on Mitt. Someone commented about Mitt participating in masturbation interviews. Jump on board and confirm your masturbation interview experiences with your bishop.

http://harndenblog.dailymail.co.uk/2012/02/mitt-romney-wins-establishment-backing-in-michigan-but-favourite-son-pitch-could-backfire.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:06PM

Just posted this:

Mormonism is one of only two subcultures in the United States--the other one is the Amish. To be granted status as a subculture, anthropologists must find lifestyle variants that are significantly different from the dominant culture. Evan casual observers notice something "odd" or "off-putting" about Romney's inability to make a connection with ordinary people. This is because Mormons have never considered themselves to be ordinary, rather their description of themselves is "a peculiar people." Mitt Romney was actually higher in the Mormon hierarchy than a bishop (which is analogous to a parish priest), he was a Stake President, which compared with a Catholic Bishop of an Diocese, or an Archbishop if the area is populous--like Boston. Any higher in Mormonism and the man (always a male) draws a paycheck. So that makes Romney not just a Mormon but an enforcer of Mormon policies on members. Romney presided over Mormon excommunication trials, called "Courts of Love" in which the accused is brought before a tribunal and judgment is dispensed. Imagine having an archbishop running for President. Naturally people would be a bit queasy about having a person with that level of dedication to a religious POV running the country. The odd detachment which observers call a robotic, remote demeanor comes from the constant deference that Mitt Romney has received all his life. His expectation of obedience as an inspired leader bleeds through all the debate prep they give him. Listen to him--"I will do this, I will do that, I don't care bout this, and I care about that." There is no sense that he represents others whose view must be considered. When you bring the kind of money the Romneys do to the table, anyone else's opinion just does not matter. Who cares what your concerns are--you are a peon. It is more than being a 1%--all the politicians are one percenters. It is about being truly superior to other mortals--possessed of more light. It is about being a god in embryo.

Anagrammy
(Kathleen Waters)

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 01:27PM

Every time we see Mitt on the TV DH and I say, "Mitt, your Mormon Priesthood is showing."

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 04:04PM

Is that what you call the glassy-eyed, deer-in-the-headlights look I've seen on his face when he's interviewed? I saw him on the TV while I was at the gym the other night, and, since there was no sound, all I could see was his peculiar facial expressions and weird, robotic body language. That's "possessed of more light"? Looked weird to me.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 04:28PM

I appreciated the clarity of thought you expressed:

"remote demeanor comes from the constant deference that Mitt Romney has received all his life. His expectation of obedience as an inspired leader bleeds through all the debate prep they give him. Listen to him--"I will do this, I will do that, I don't care bout this, and I care about that." There is no sense that he represents others whose view must be considered. When you bring the kind of money the Romneys do to the table, anyone else's opinion just does not matter. "

"Expectation of obedience" is an excellent observance of his behavior towards others. It is difficult to be raised with so much because sometimes your good manners and concern never have the chance to develop.

I think of 'Captains Courageous" by Rudyard Kipling (I believe)
of the wealthy child who was swept over board off a steamship liner and had to spend the season fishing the great banks as a deck hand. The experience made a man of him.

It's too bad Romney never had the chance to grow up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.