Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hobblecreek ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 08:19PM

And the overwhelming feeling I had was pity for them. I wish I could help them avoid the decades I wasted as a Mormon. If they do leave the church in the future I hope it doesn't have to come at the cost of family or work. They seemed like good kids. They are just trapped in the cult the same way I was, and the rest of my family still is.

All the sacrifices those missionaries are making and for what? To perpetuate the fraud of a 19th century con man. It really makes me sick.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 11:23PM

That is the way I always feel when I talk with the missionaries. You expressed my views perfectly

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 01:24AM

I drive around my city all day long in my job and I often see missionaries everywhere. Everytime I see them, I want to pull over my car and just explain the BoA to them.

At the same time, I realize these kids are getting the same bs pressure from family that I got when I served. They would get defensive.

However, I would have given anything for someone to have told me while I was on my mission starting out. I thought a lot of things in the Mo was strange because I distanced myself from Mo's as a young kid. Once I got on my mission it was culture shock. I grew into it, but it was really tough.

I always thought it was odd that this religion had so much dirt against it. Later I thought it had to be satan trying to bring it down. Now I know better.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 04:40AM

Date: February 18, 2012 08:14AM

My wife is still a believing active Mormon. She's the one who invited them over for dinner. There would be domestic hell to pay if she thought I was trying to spread my apostasy to the "elders".

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:31AM

not just for this post, but for a lot of the beautifully written, sincerely well meaning posts I read here.

Posters write here the things they wish they could say to others and I think, wow, why not just say it like that for real.

Unfortunately, we all know most of it would be seen as "attack of the apostate" and we don't go there.

RFM is the one place where an open heart will do you a lot of good.

Date: February 18, 2012 08:58AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that the missionaries want my wife to find some non-members to bring to a special stake wide viewing of the film "The Prophet of the Restoration". For some reason I suspect that the movie won't focus too much on Brother Joseph's polygamy, polyandry, bank fraud, masonic connections, and utter failure as a translator of ancient documents. No use giving meat to people who can only digest milk.

I can't believe that I used to peddle the same stuff. It would be funny if real lives weren't involved.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 02:59PM

This is interesting. At the same time they have Marlin Jensen out there talking about being more honest about history, they are showing this syrup covered BS film to investigators. Outside the media spotlight, they are just doing the same old stuff, like business as usual (lying for the Lord).

Date: February 18, 2012 03:21PM

Hasn't it always been that way with the church? Say one thing in public, do something else when you think no one is paying attention; change unsavory practices only when forced to after being repeatedly caught.

Polygamy in Nauvoo, the 1890 Manifesto, anti-American oaths in the temple, Jews and baptisms for the dead. They'll keep lying about their history until they are pressured to stop. If killing for the Lord is acceptable, what's a little lie or two to help the work along?

Posted by: knowitsfalse ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 12:35PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 01:43PM by knowitsfalse.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 12:53PM

I hope you didn't Undercook them or Overcook 'em;

they're one of those dishes you gotta get 'Just Right'

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 01:16PM

:yesyes: They're very delicate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.