Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 09:32PM

Dinner dances for teens where girls dress like their grandmas of old?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 09:46PM by Cheryl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tngal1 ( )
Date: February 17, 2012 09:36PM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:17AM

One might well ask. (Certainly all kids today remember "Li'l Abner," right?)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:25AM

Mormons were offended by the dresses and rumors of drugs and alcohol at high school events and felt that providing a wholesome choice would keep kids more moral.

Not sure, but from what I can tell this lasted for only a year or two?

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:04AM

No matter how hard they try, its never the same. The dance is a glorified stake dance, with a lot of extra effort on behalf of the leaders, who try to make it "cool". It is not the same as getting a date (though some kids do), and going out for dinner and then the dance. It's lame. And I was part of a massive, multi-stake effort to put one together. It was well attended, but the element of excitement was not there.

One thing I will say, in my area anyway, is that high school dances are now the equivalent of a 21+ club environment, minus the serving of alcohol. Notice I said "serving". Many kids already have been drinking, and will continue drinking afterward. there is no "nice evening", its all about getting hammered and grinding on eachother in stripper heels, at age 14+. awesome.

Look, I'm no prude, but I think kids can be kids ans enjoy themselves, but act dignified. I think there should be a happy medium between lame stake proms and the club style prom. Much of the problem lies with the school, if you ask me. They can set a behavior and dress code. But you know, that's no fun, either........

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.