Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 09:29AM

The LDS church is a HUGE believer in groups. Meetings and gatherings and visiting and meetings and assigned friends and more meetings. And, of course, families. And family meetings. It's a flock, after all. It's leaders and followers. Mostly followers. Followers in meetings. Meeting about meetings.

My father used to joke that the church had so many meetings so there wasn't enough time left for members to sin. I don't think it's a joke. The more people you're around, the harder it is to get them to join you in forbidden behavior. The more eyes there are watching you. If you're at the church you can't be at the bar. If you're in the pew, you can't be in an unauthorized bed. So meetings, activities and all that are just as much about proving you're not off sinning as they are about the professed purpose of the gathering. And if you're NOT there, well... You're at least guilty of the sin of not attending your meeting, the sin of thinking something is better than going to a meeting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elwood ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:49AM

I agree. Keep the members too busy, and watched too closely, to get in trouble. And too busy to really think, or worse, explore any part of life other than Moism.

I think another part of having so many meetings is to give members the feeling, the illusion really, that they are accomplishing something. That way they can feel good about themselves just by filling a seat at meetings. And the leaders think the more meetings they call the more righteous they are. It's almost a competition: those slackers in the other wards/stakes/churches don't have nearly as many meetings as we do, we are so much better. You see this mentality in the corporate world too - people who judge people's usefulness and success by how many meetings they organize and attend. They are wasting theirs and others time in the process - but feel good about themselves for doing it.

As for me, I think the greatest luxury in the world is free time. I've left the Mo meetings behind, and can't wait to someday leave the business meetings behind too.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:57AM

When you're in a group, most people don't have to keep their hands tied to a bedpost. Most, not all.

Posted by: Holbrook ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:57AM

Christian definition of righteousness: "Visiting the fatherless and widows in their affliction"...serving others.

Mormon definition of righteousness: Sitting in church or reading your scriptures.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 12:30PM

I have been told many times that I am living on the "dark side". Among other things. I am always amazed how many derogerty names and judgements mormons come up with.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.