Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 01:50PM

My Dear Daughter has a 17-year old girl friend who interestingly enough was dating a mormon boy my daughter knows.

The relationship flamed out when the boy started pushing the girl to get baptized. I won't bore you with the gory details of that, suffice it to say it wasn't pleasant and soon it was all over.

This is a nice girl and she's been a good friend to my daughter over the years. They hang out a lot and do things together. I drove them to the movies last night and she & my daughter were, as girls do, talking about her breakup, so I got to be an interested observer to that conversation. The girl made a very interesting summary of her experience concerning mormonism that I thought was pretty profound:

"Mormons are more interested in their religion and less in their faith of Jesus Christ."

Hmm. I think she's onto something with that very perceptive and accurate observation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: reasonabledoubt ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 03:05PM

Jesus who?

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 05:15PM

Of course what she said is true. But did she have deep discussions with the boy and noted it by those discussions or did she gain this info from your daughter? Glad she saved herself a life of lies.

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 07:08PM

@honestone

She developed this opinion from watching and observing the behavor of the adults when she went to YW and Sunday Services. She also wasn't happy with their constant attempts to get her to support their programs when she wasn't interested nor a member. The condescension towards her Protestant beliefs also annoyed her.

The fanatical pandering towards the Priestood leaders and their over the top invovlement in their members lives was disturbing to her. She told us that her BF was an assistant to the Bishop (Priest's Quorum) and there were all these assignments he was required to go do, which infringed on their times. He also had chaperone duties at the dances, which sometimes prevented him from dancing with her. In addition, she was very upset at the MONTHLY worthiness interviews her BF got from the Bishop, so as to makes sure their relationship was chaste, etc. Personally, I detected that the girl was deeply offened by the suggestion that she was "that kind of girl."

All in all, it was really interesting listening to how she was treated and what she thought of the experience.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.