Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mobegone ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 04:17PM

So the other day a TBM gave me a reminder about the importance of following the prophet(s). This got me thinking and I realized how stupid it is that TBM's don't get what weak sauce their modern day profits are. Let us compare and contrast using ancient Bible and BOM prophets as well as old Joe vs. the current crop.

Abinidi: Snuck his way into an audience with the wicked king, laid the smack down, then gave his life for it.
Monson: Dines with heathen dignitaries and accepts awards from them.

Peter: Preaches it up at pentacost, goes all over spreading the word, gets crucified upside down.
Eyring: Gives 20 minute conference talks, publishes books and makes sweet dough off the sales.

Samuel the Lamanite: On the wall tells everyone they'd better get their crap straight and they can shoot arrows at him all they like but he ain't backing down.
Hinckley: Hmmmm.... well I don't know that we teach that.

Joseph (Old Testament): Gives specific warning about specific famine so people can get ready for it.
Hinckley, Monson, et al: Uh, everyone hoarde a bunch of food in case something bad happens somewhere sometime.

Smith: Hey everyone, check out this week's sweet revelation straight from God.
Bednar: Hey everyone, check out this sweet story about a pickle.

Moses: Calls down plagues and parts the Red Sea.
Monson, Eyring, Uchtdorf: Calls some contactors, builds a mall.

David: Writes most of the Psalms.
Packer: Writes about not playing with your little factory.

John the Baptist: Wanders the land eating honey and locusts.
Oaks: Flies in fancy jets, eats gourmet spreads.

The 12 Disciples: Give up everything they have to follow Jesus.
The current 12: Wear business suits, build real estate, visit only their adoring fans, get an expense account courtesy of following Jesus.

Follow the prophet, he knows the way! (to run a multi-billion dollar corporation).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 04:50PM

That reminds me, how is Samuel the Lamanite these days? Anyone keep in touch with him?

Posted by: Bwahaha ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 07:35PM

He now calls himself Samuel the Utahnight, and is even more nutso crazy than ever.
About a year ago, he posted a blue streak cursing and foaming at mouth rant against RFM on one of his hundreds of blogs.
That got him promptly banned from here.
Google "Samuel the Utahnight RFM" to read it. You'll laugh your head off!

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 07:53PM

This might be a different one? I just remembered he also called himself TehSam!!!

I'll go google that one, I need a good laugh.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 04:57PM

...when he stays out of the limelight and says NOT ONE NEW THING?

How does one "follow the prophet" when the prophet doesn't lead?!

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 04:57PM

This is priceless, perfect, and spot-on!!!!

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 05:08PM

+1

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 07:00PM

Posted by: mormonisn't ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 08:57PM

Isaiah walked Naked and Barefoot in the desert for 3 years
Isaia 20:3

Monson: Designer Suits,rides in a Audi A8 bullet Proof Limo
picture http://www.ldschurchnews.com/media/photos/5642356.jpg

Posted by: Monday Thinker ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 09:04PM

The new prophets in the church run like the US Presidency. Some are liberals and do a lot of radical stuff and others are conservatives and jut keep the shop steady. Kimbal was a liberal. built several temples, wrote two books, one of which is the standard Mormon scare tactic. Let blacks in because he "was inspired." (Inspired by public opinion and church growth in Africa and Brazil.)

Benson was conservative. Nothing too new. Some memorable talks, but he got his crazy out much more in the real political realm.

Hunter was brain dead by the time he took charge.

Hinckley was very liberal. He was a temple building, PR firm hiring, history whitewashing CEO. With the Internet age and growing dissent from the church he may be remembered as the last great Mormon President.

Monson is very conservative. He's a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" prophet.

When the next generation of Mormons is up to bat and there are far less young people staying in than there used to be, a new liberal prophet will try and spice it up again. Let's just hope that Packer dies before Tommy. If Packer reigns no one will be allowed to edit his anti by conference talks.

Posted by: Monday Thinker ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 09:06PM

Forgive the grammar and punctuation on my last post. I'm writing on my iPad and the damn thing changes words incorrectly as often as it does correctly.

Posted by: mormonisn't ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 09:25PM

Then
Matthew 19:21
Jesus said If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Now

"The Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is a Corporate Sole with succession being the subsequent next President. That means he is the sole shareholder and owner of all businesses and holdings.
"The current worth would be conservatively above $60 billion, and if the current market value of holdings was added, it would likely be closer to $100 billion.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 08:31AM

New testament Jesus: frequently found preaching outdoors, no big deal because He can control the weather.

MORmON Jesus: working hard to dot the globe with MORmON chapels for his MORmON Leaders to preach in because that weather thing can be a bitch!

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 08:42AM

Pervert Joe Smith claimed to translate re formed egytian

Gordon Hinckley cant even try to fake speaking spanish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UncZBWcIPL8

Posted by: yin ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 12:38AM

I've favorited this thread so I can come back to it. I love the comparison between the so-called heroes of the BOM and the modern prophets. You'd think out of all those modern prophets, one would have the warrior-like spirit that the ancient prophets did... Nope.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 01:17AM

Brilliant!

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 01:29AM

Excellent post, IMHO. Love the comparisons!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.