Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 09:45PM

but isn't that what the Official Handbook says about them?

"The garment is a reminder of these covenants and, when properly worn, will serve as a protection against temptation and evil."

In other words, they're magic against temptation and evil, but only if they're worn correctly. If they're worn incorrectly (like inside out or backwards?), the magic doesn't work!

I would love a TBM to explain how this magic actually works. Does it make Satan mute? Does it disconnect the penis from the brain? Does it create a force field around you? And shouldn't we be able to test this claim somehow?

http://mormonstories.org/other/TRI%20Questions%20120911.pdf

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:10PM

Wearing the magic jammies protected him from burns after a fighter plane crash. Only the unprotected skin was burned, but he was a prolific liar and I'm not sure he made the claim.

He did claim to have played baseball for the Cardinals. Flat lie.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:56PM

Longout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wearing the magic jammies protected him from burns
> after a fighter plane crash. Only the unprotected
> skin was burned, but he was a prolific liar and
> I'm not sure he made the claim.
>
> He did claim to have played baseball for the
> Cardinals. Flat lie.
==============================================

That's why I'm a CUBS fan!

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:19PM

mormons won't admit it but they believe in magic, period

they believe that saying certain words while doing certain things will produce certain results (sacrament prayer, all the temple stuff, laying on of hands, etc.)

it's just full of incantations and rites - probly because the founder was totally into the occult

anyway, yes, no matter how they try to spin garments as a totally normal thing to do "magic underwear" is still a perfect description for them

oh, and another thing - this goes along the lines of the 'mormons can dish it out but they can't take it thread' from the other day: mormons dis on other churches for their religious garb (e.g., pope hats) but their stuff is just as, if not more bizarre...

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 10:20PM

He said that he had no burns where his underwear covered him. My great grandfather said he was protected from some barbed wire by his magic underwear when he was kicked into a fence.

What's not to like about magic underwear, Mormons?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2012 10:21PM by Makurosu.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:18PM

How about "Rocky Mountain Surf Shirts"?....that what a pal of mine told me they called them at the MTC back in the 60's....

Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:33PM

When i wore them correctly and still got hit in the cherries with a baseball. Hurt like hell. Kinda pissed me off too....

Posted by: yin ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:42PM

Wow, what a slap in the face to my dad, who has worn his magic underwear for almost thirty years and has psoriasis everywhere where his garments touch his skin. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 11:00AM

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 18, 2012 11:56PM

I have really bad ADD, and it wasn't uncommon to discover that I had put on the garment top inside out. In fact, I still do this with undershirts all the time. Does that mean Jesus does not love me enough to protect me, when I screwed up and put my garmy top on wrong?

Date: February 19, 2012 11:01AM

No wonder you ended up an exmo.

Date: February 19, 2012 11:08AM

...non-Mormons called them the Sacred Garments of the Melchizedek Priesthood. They just don't want outsiders talking about "holy" things. Because outside the proper context -- that context being total belief and deference -- those holy things DO sound silly.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 01:02AM

Humm. Let me see. ADD, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, breast cancer. I'm NOT convinced! Garmies add to your misery when you don't feel well.

My TBM nazi mother got into herbs,and crystals because she didn't feel well. Blessings, temple visits, following rules to the letter,didn't work. My TBM brothers and sisters held an intervention. They told her they were going to turn her into the bishop if she didn't knock it off. They told her that garments were her protection. WRONG. She got rid of all of the other voodoo, only to be carted out in a straight jacket (and garments) a month later.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 01:08AM

When your balls are chaffed you feel no temptation... unless you're into that sort of thing.

Posted by: vulturetamer ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 01:30AM

You know, when you buy kids pajamas, that if they aren't made from flame resistant fabric, they must be worn snugly against the skin? Any mom knows this. Well, its the same for garments. Any claim made by a burn victim about being protected in that area covered by garments, can be explained by science. The skin is protected a bit longer from burning when fabric is snug against the skin.

Date: February 19, 2012 10:29AM

Magic underwear is a much better term. Garment is a generic term for any article of clothing. Mormonism shouldn't get to change the name of popular words just because they are embarrassed about their superstition.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 10:38AM

I can't recall who it was, but they reported that a TBM was full of praise for the Magic Panties and how they had stopped the part of the body of a burns victim from being touched by the flames.

The RFMer then said: "So he survived the fire?" Only to be told: "No, the fire killed him. But the Temple Garments protected his skin under his garments from being burnt!"

With that kind of logic...

Date: February 19, 2012 10:48AM

I'm a horrible person, I laughed at that story.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 11:15AM

It was one of those examples of Mormon logic that makes reason stare.

Posted by: pioneer stock ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 11:43AM

I had a TBM niece who was in Peace Corps based in North Africa. She claimed that the bedbugs did not bite where her garments touched her but bit everywhere else. What a miracle !!!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:10PM

I would never disrespect (mock, call them magic, etc.) any of my loved one's right to wear the "sacred garment of the Holy Melchizedek Priesthood". I used to wear it. I changed my mind about the need, and belief, but they didn't.

It's their religious belief. Not mine, not anymore.
I believe in treating people the way I want to be treated and I certainly don't like to be treated with disrespect especially over some religious views.

These are important religious garments to the believer. They are taken seriously by those I know. I understand what they mean to the believer and I can respect that.

Some place such great faith in them (probably the placebo affect) :-) ....they actually believe they are more than just a piece of material, but an actual blessing of faith given them because of their belief in what they mean to them.

Once I changed my mind about accepting the claims of the LDS Church I no longer had a need or any belief in the garment and got rid of them as they don't apply to me anymore. But I do know how important they are to other people and I will respect that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2012 12:10PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:43PM

In fact, it's disrespectful and inappropriate to come to a recovery site and rag on people who should feel safe to let off steam about a damaging cult.

You're acting like a troll, dropping your apologetic stinkbombs just trying to see how many people you can piss off.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:12PM

I knew a guy who came back off his mission and told an anecdote in his homecoming Sacrament talk about how his garmies protected him from an assault - he felt the guys punches and kicks just bounce off him without causing him any harm...

...Didn't stop him going inactive and eventually leaving the church within 12 months.

Date: February 19, 2012 12:21PM

Really, the Garmies stopped punches? What did the guy think would have happened if he wasn't wearing them? Did he think the punches would have torn into his chest cavity like bullets?

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:29PM

Probably.

I've been smacked before and was pleasantly suprised that the punch didn't hurt at all. I figured later it was probably adrenaline that numbed the pain. I wasn't wearing any magic underwear.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:38PM

""The garment is a reminder of these covenants and, when properly worn, will serve as a protection against temptation and evil.""

Really this is referred to as this in church documentation??

I understand declaring protection from PHYSICAL things....but, temptation??? That's all in the mind..

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:42PM

nonmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ""The garment is a reminder of these covenants
> and, when properly worn, will serve as a
> protection against temptation and evil.""
>
> Really this is referred to as this in church
> documentation??
>
> I understand declaring protection from PHYSICAL
> things....but, temptation??? That's all in the
> mind..

I understand it. I lived it at one time. I know many people who still live it and understand it.

Special attire is ancient. Religions in general have special attire that is important to them, representative of their beliefs, or at least, long established traditions.
I'm fine with that.

It's not about me anyhow. Doesn't apply to me, but I can appreciate the attire and pageantry, and music, in many of the traditions, for instance. It's about the believers and how they honor their god. And that seems to apply to the majority of human beings that have ever lived or are living or will live on this earth. The majority have some belief in a deity/savior, for instance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.