Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 12:43PM

Does anybody else remember hearing this from people? The temple is the one place on Earth where Satan cannot physically be present. You are protected from his temptations whilst in the temple. If you do think bad thoughts (or worse, from some of the stories I've read on this site) in the temple, then it must come from your own mind and not Satan's.

And I remember believing this bullshit!

Just thought I'd share that thought of the day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Marcionite ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 01:44PM

I remember something like that being taught. I also remember wondering why I was having horny thoughts, if the Devil was pretty much powerless in the temple.

I figured he could still influence people in the temple, but that since so many righteous people were there his influence was diminished. Just more rationalizing.

The more I attended, the more I thought the whole thing was influenced by the Devil. :)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 01:55PM

Yes, I spent many a tedious temple session thinking about sex instead. At first, I was surprised such inappropriate thoughts in the temple didn't get me struck down. Then I realized that "Satan not allowed in the temple" crap either wasn't true or he wasn't the one doing the tempting. Just to make it clear, those thoughts never involved any of the milquetoast Mormons in the temple movie. Although Michael Ballam's Satan was a bit sexy, if you didn't know that he was nothing like that in real life.

Also, if Satan isn't allowed in the temple, why were there locks on the lockers? He couldn't tempt people to steal inside the temple, could he? And why were the old fogies who worked in the temple so short-tempered and bossy? Are those Christ-like qualities?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 10:31AM

You thought about sex while in the temple? That is so sexy, and I am glad I was not the only one.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:18PM

I remember being told that.
Then I sat down to watch the movie.
Lo and behold there he was! Bigger than life.
Not only that, he was talking to me and telling me what to wear!
The temple matron made sure I did what he told me to do.
Satan is alive and well in the temple.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:42PM

Without satan heavenlyfathers plan would be nothing. He's folowing the plan so he should be aloud in to do other good works like everyone else.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 02:47PM

I wondered that too. I would look at the girls getting baptized while I waited with their see through baptism outfits while wet. I wondered why I kept getting those thoughts.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 03:42PM

Yup - I remember looking out for see-through baptism dresses when I was younger, and then later in the "endowment" sessions thinking about sex with the missionary sisters over there on the left.

I knew the thoughts were my own, and not from Satan, but then these thoughts were *EXACTLY* like the thoughts I would usually have about hot women *OUTSIDE* the temple! Either I couldn't tell the difference between Satan's tempting and my own, evil, "natural man" thoughts, or Satan didn't need to tempt me because I was doing a good enough job of being evil on my own! I really must have been a bad person.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 03:47PM

Not true, Satan strolled in to the Logan Temple president's office in about 1890. They had a little chat, then he got pissed and drove off in his carriage.
RG

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 05:09PM

I was taught the come to door of the Temple not inside.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 10:29AM

Satan is the star character in the temple (ie the only one with a pulse).

Posted by: abacab08 ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 10:39AM

He is ever present cause boy was my only trip creepy

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 10:39AM

Yep, I was definitely taught that. Although if you were unworthy you could supposedly bring a devil spirit that was possessig you in with you.

"Feeling the spirit" that the church was not true in the temple was a big marker on my path to leaving.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 10:40AM

Satan told me to leave my wife and try to hump one of the other sisters if she would give me her phone number hahaha..... during a endowment ceremony......so I am sure he is allowed in the temple.

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 11:03AM

When I attended an open day for the England Preston temple, one of the men being shown around had a big red tattoo of the devil on his head.

Posted by: red pill ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 12:46PM

I think the idea that satan can't enter the temple is an example of the way things progress in the mormon culture. People are trying so hard to keep the self deception alive that they have to come up with semilogical (mormon logic) reasons to do things.

I was talking with my not so TBM brother the last time he visited. We were sitting in the kitchen with the lights out and a couple of candles going with me sipping a beer, trying to keep my buzz going. Somehow we were talking about gays and he said that if someone thought they were gay they should go out and bang all the girls they can to really make sure they are not gay.

Mormon Logic: Being gay is worst than fornication, I would rather be known to have a reformed fornicator as a son than a reformed gay.

Lately I have been wanting to take on a couple of my brothers and their mormon logic, but sadly I think they are too invested and they will play the "have faith, we are only mortals."

OH and satan is in the temple! He is in the video, and I never thought of satan more than when I was in the temple.....

Posted by: djmaciii ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 11:22PM

Well Satan don't feel bad.

Jesus can not get in either. Not with that beard and that outfit. I wont even bring up the wine making!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 05:24PM

Yeah, Jesus would never get a temple recommend for his own restored church self-proclaimed to be the closest to his time.

Hah!

Ana

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 11:26PM

I always hated going to the temple not only was it repetitive and boring, it was creepy. I hated the place. I should have changed my name to Lucifer when I was still a member so I would have an excuse not to go to the temple. LOL! Hell. They probably would have given me a costume and made me act in the temple play. Oh well, I could flirt with Eve but sadly she was usually played by some old bitty 80 years old.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 11:40PM

Conversely, I was told that Jesus can only exist within Mormon temples whenever He visits the Earth. If you see temple lights on at night, it's just Jesus going over the records. I like the idea that a supreme being enters a room and flicks on the light switch. Ha ha ha...And then He has to open files...ahhhhh, too good.

Posted by: Elohim ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 11:48PM

Sorry child, to be so crass with answering your question, but why in the H E ! ! would you believe that Satan can't enter the temple when it's HIM that upstages even ME in the grand feature film that plays there!

Isn't Satan there to give you your green fig leaf aprons? You didn't get them from me...

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 05:18PM

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 12:33AM

I had the highly irreverent thought (which of course I did not verbalize) wondering, "Why? Have the Mormons invented some sort of anti-Satan Kryptonite???"

Trying to be a good little investigator, I immediately mentally chastised myself for such light-mindedness.

They told me a bunch of other BS about the temple, almost all of which was proven wrong the first time I saw it for myself, years later. Boy, did I want my money back!

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 01:06AM

mhh..not sure bro.

i got right in and nobody stopped me.

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 05:22PM

So he can enter by proxy? (If you haven't eaten garlic or wear crosses?)

Posted by: mre ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 02:13AM

In some ways I want to get a girlfriend and two temple recommends (one for each of us) just so we can do naughty things in a temple.

Why? Because I think it'd be a fun joke to be able to personally say that Satan entered her temple. BAM!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 02:13AM by mre.

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 02:22AM

I was gonna say "what?! Can't enter? He runs the place!" But then, I guess the guy who owns Oscar Meyer doesn't exactly hang around the rendering plant, but he's probably in the training videos, so you know, maybe Satan's just too snobby & pretentious to actually show up.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 02:27AM

Since Joe Smith and Brig Young have entered LDS temples, Satan ( SUPPOSEDLY) not being allowed in really does not mean much.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 05:29PM

There are the spirits of nine foot Nephite warriors at the doors to keep him out.

Posted by: chimes ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 07:47PM

when I was 20, I was in the Los Angeles temple and observed an attractive sister sitting in a fancy chair, waiting for a session to begin. Being youthful with raging hormones, I kind of got, you know, a hard one. I tried to make conversation and wow, she was hot! Must have been Satanic influence? Deep inside I felt conflicted about lustful thoughts while suppossedly in the "holy temple". Say it ain't so...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.