Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Monday Thinker ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 12:01PM

Being BIC, I was, as I'm sure most of you were, constantly bombarded by the idea that we 'have something so special. Why wouldn't we want our friends to know about and have this.'

I was a faithful TBM until shortly after I turned 25, even completing a full two year mission, but I never really felt that feeling of "I have to tell everyone!" I did what I was supposed too, but I just never got that feeling of desire to share. Generally I avoided it at all costs.

Funny thing is, now that I'm out of the church, I feel a driving urge to tell all of my old friends and companions the news! I'm assuming the probably just don't know the reality of the church. I was BIC outside of Utah and I didn't really know it, so why would they? Even funnier is that now, when I have this strong urge to tell everyone about it, I realize what people were talking about in being careful who you share it with. My YM leader (reasonably) said be careful where and when you share the gospel because people might treat you differently and it may be inappropriate in some situations (work etc). Now I have to be careful because telling most of my TBM friends would ostracize me from them and would cause me to be love bombed or shunned.

I just found it ironic that only when I figured out the church was a fraud did I have the urge to share. Proof enough for me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 12:05PM

That is ironic. But it tells you what you really knew all along. It was a fraud....you said you did as you were told. Yes, I assume many do that. But now at your age you must do as you feel compelled to do. You own your own feelings. Share with all and take the consequences....or share with no one. It is up to you....but if shunned and lovebombed be prepared with how you will act and what you will say to the lovebombers. YOU don't have to worry about friends. YOU are young and have plenty of time to make real friends who don't judge you on membership in a church. Good luck. Congrats!!!!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 12:10PM

I had a really strong urge to run out and save all of my friends. To tell them the truth. I couldn't wait to tell everyone what I'd learned.

I quickly realized that not only didn't they want to know the truth, but some of them actually needed the Church. That was a hard pill to swallow.

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 12:43PM

Amen....three or four friends down the road I learned this lesson. I took my curiosity insights to facebook. That drained me and I felt deflated so I deleted my account. I completed in some way what I set out to accomplish... I hope to continue to evolve and find ways to speak to people.

Those so called friends were in return bearing their testimonies right back to me and more or less like making fun of me that I had come to those outrageous conclusion. The facts I was spewing over lunch weren't registering. It was like talking to a blank canvas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 12:46PM by holistic.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 12:12PM

Funny how discovering something that frees us from shame and humiliation does make us happy and want to discuss it more with like minded thinkers.

I was also BIC and served a mission and truly never wanted to share the church with people because I always knew that I was only telling them a fraction of the story.........and they would get the suprise of a lifetime when they went through the temple like I did. It didn't seem fair to participate in tricking people into joining because of Jesus, and then telling them years later to go to the temple and see "the real truth".

How could I want to have people feel as shocked and confused as I did sitting in a temple for the first time thinking to myself,"I can't believe this is my family's church" and thinking , "What am I doing here?"

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 05:01PM

I managed to keep quite for the most part in church during two years, but things crept out unintentionally.

Once I was asked by someone (must have been his calling) what was bothering me so much not to get baptised and that he might be able to help. So I brought in the JOD/Brigham Young stuff on Blacks.

His response a week later was the Bishop is waiting to see me in his office! lol

Then a BIC Elderly Ward Sister with a lifetime commitment was probing me on what was bugging me. I tried to resist for fear of shaking her faith, but she insisted and promised me her testimony was so strong that nothing can alter it etc. So reluctantly I mentioned the Hat and Rock.

To cut a long story short, she had never heard that before and nearly collapsed trembling. It was a frightening experience.

Also my very first missionary once said that I should never be afraid to ask her the tough questions as she will research, find the answer and grow as a result. So I asked about, hats and rocks, negroes cursed, Book of Abraham, Adam/God etc. Cut a long story short again I get a shun!

And yet I was invited/probed to share concerns, ask questions etc.

Obviously they weren't the kind of questions they were expecting.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 12:21AM

No they weren't the sort of questions that were expected. Hats off to you for giving them the truth.

Posted by: jameswilmons ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 07:21PM

It is funny. It's almost like you want to bear your non-testimony to the same people who want to bear their silly-testimony to you.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 07:22PM

Funny how that happens. Knowing the real truth lights a fire that you want to share.

Posted by: zexsi ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 08:20PM

Monday Thinker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Funny thing is, now that I'm out of the church, I
> feel a driving urge to tell all of my old friends
> and companions the news! I'm assuming the probably

> I just found it ironic that only when I figured
> out the church was a fraud did I have the urge to
> share. Proof enough for me.

Actually this feeling is quite normal..

Every time I pick up a book and find out something I didnt know, or watch an educational TV problem, or learn some new computer trick, I want to share it. I think its human nature to want to share what inspires us.

Its also conversely revealing that what you choose not to share, is likely something that isn't inspiring or impressing you.

-Zexsi

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 12:07AM

I never had a testimony of anything until I lost my faith. Now, my testimony is unshakeable.

The church is bunk. Religion is bunk. The supernatural- bunk. Pseudoscience- bunk. Zodiac- bunk. Homeopathy- bunk. Anything that can't be backed up with empirical evidence is bullshit or hypothesis.

Hypotheses will, through the Scientific Method, be accepted as theory, or tossed aside.

The hypotheses of TCOJCOLDS have been tossed aside by the evidence.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: February 21, 2012 12:24AM

Bob McCue will talk about the need animals have for squawking about or calling attention to a cheater. The LDS church cheats, e.g,. as upsidedown said, "tricking people into joining because of Jesus, and then telling them years later to go to the temple and see "the real truth."

And of course we don't like to be tricked into feeling "shamed and humiliated" (upsidedown again), which is itself shaming and humiliating. The LDS church shames and humiliates therefore to the second power. That would tend to really make people angry if and when they found out. The tricking into servitude and bondage is a kind of spiritual rape that the LDS church implements, which makes a certain amount of sense seeing as how its founder and chief designer was himself a psychological (and in some sense literal) rapist and thief.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2012 12:27AM by derrida.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.