Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Geoff Staines ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 02:15PM

youtube video: BBC Horizon: Are You Good Or Evil ¦ 720p [3/4]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmKqnS4OSmk

this vid and the next outline current thinking that behaviour is entirely genetic and circumstantial. It has got me questioning whether there is a god at all? I'd like there to be one because I like the idea of a kind god but I don't have many arguments "for" these days

Enjoy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 03:56PM

Geoff Staines Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
It has got me questioning whether
> there is a god at all? I'd like there to be one
> because I like the idea of a kind god but I don't
> have many arguments "for" these days

Welcome to the club Geoff. Thats where I have got to for the last four years now.

I sometimes wish I never had all those probing questions when studying the various religions and perhaps just joined one ignorantly.

I would have been a pain in the butt to those around me I would have been be trying to 'save' or share the good news with who knew better, but at least I think I would have been bliss in my ignorance!

That Horizon stuff is interesting. Genetics being a cause is quite worrying, because it seems to suggest it's potentially outside of our control, though the programme did address that with upbringing playing a critical role.

I do think that how we are brought up and what we are taught from parents is a big influence on who we become as well as other influences. Mixing with the wrong crowd kind of thing but some are better than others at not getting sucked into wrongdoing.

Ironically Mormonism has had an impact on me and an influence to my character.

I would say for the better in a way, but my Nephews tell me I became a worse Uncle when investigating/attending/participating in the church because I was always away from them and not devoting my time to them like I used to:(

They are right in that respect and I have made up for it to them.

PS Commend you for having the guts not to post anonymously here anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 03:59PM by zeezrom.

Posted by: Geoff Staines ( )
Date: February 20, 2012 04:10PM

Thanks Zeez. I have found using my real name liberating. Hiding only prolongs the recovery

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.