Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: adamisfree2006 (formerly on_my_way_out_2) ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 09:52AM

and it has been a wonderful ride. It has not been perfect! We are experiencing a few bumps with our children which has caused me to stop and say "what if?" a couple of times. However, I slap myself and then accept that any of this could have happened if we remained LD$. I have known many LD$ members who had similar issues with their children and they were "active".

My wife and I are so glad we exited in 2006. It was a great decision and I have no regrets. I am still very lucky that I left with my marriage intact. DW has really embraced the non-LD$ life well.

It is hard to believe that I have been coming to this board for 7 years. This was such a safehaven for me during the year of my faith crisis. Realizing there were others out there that thought the same as me made me feel sane.

A HUGE THANKS to Eric for this board.

Peace out! Adam

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fisher of fish ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 11:08AM

My wife is still drinking the kool-aid, but we are at a much better place than when we started 5 years ago.

Here's to life on your own terms.

Date: February 22, 2012 12:35PM

Posted by: freebird ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 12:56PM

Congrats to you Adam!! It was May 2008 when I was officially out. And two Sundays ago my wife turned in her letter! Life is good outside mormonism! I know what you mean though about thinking what if when things happen that are challenging. Because we were programmed and conditioned to believe that all good things or blessings are predicated upon our obedience to living the gospel(mormonism) and when bad things happen its because God is either testing us to make us stronger or punishing us for not being obedient enough. WHAT A MIND SCREW!!! I know alot of people dont like the cult word, but hell if it quacks like a duck and acts like a duck.... You know what I mean?? Anyway, good luck to you my friend and live well and love more!!

Date: February 22, 2012 02:43PM

I escaped with my marriage and family. the extended family relationships suck but no big deal.

Glad that your wife saw the light and left also. It is a great life outside and I rarely IF EVER look back.

Adam...

Posted by: templenameaaron ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 01:42PM

im amazed at how attached we really are to the church i am certain it is a fruad but man when i hear or sing the hymns of zion they have real power over me.

Date: February 22, 2012 02:46PM

especially when it seemed as though I might lose my wife/family by leaving. Fortunately we came out of it together and just celebrated anniversary #26 (we resigned together on our 20th anniversary)!

Any good music/song can bring out emotions!

Adam

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 05:31PM

Most of us had a strong attachment to the church, and breaking such a connection is hard. I, too, feel a twinge when I hear the old hymns. Finally I realized it's not tscc I'm mourning, but my idealized dream of what the church was. An ideal the real church didn't live up to. I've been out over 30 years.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 02:45PM

To honor you and yours I shall toss-back a cold one for each year of freedom!

Congrats!

Timothy

Date: February 22, 2012 02:47PM

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 03:22PM

... I am quite flexible!

Party on, mate!

Timothy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.