Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 10:46AM

https://www.lds.org/new-era/2006/06/a-sense-of-the-sacred?lang=eng

It's not enough that you attend mormon church on Sunday, but you also need to also fit someone else's standard of appropriate attire, otherwise they can't feel the spirit.

Some apostles are even stating that keeping the sabbath day holy involves attending all your church meetings, wearing the appropriate clothing, being on time, and remaining in you church clothes all day Sunday.

Constrast this to other churches, which are simply happy to see you in their building on Sunday.

The mormon church simply wants to control every aspect of your life.

Did any of you feel less holy wearing flip flops or sandals to church on Sunday? *rolls-eyes*

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: istillgetsurprised ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 10:51AM

I always wore flip flops and made it a point to wear them after they cracked down on it. Even when we moved to a place where it snowed regularly I donned my flip flops. I was making a point and am sure that is why I always ended up teaching in primary.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 01:47PM

...means you were still being controlled by what the church wanted.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 10:53AM

Isn't there some scripture along the lines that people see each other from the outside, but God can see our hearts? (Or some such thing ...)

Obviously God can't see your heart unless you're wearing a white shirt and sensible shoes. What? You think God's supposed to be omnipotent or something???

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 10:58AM

What I wore to church when I was 15 was got me out of being there. Micromini dress...platforms. Hey it was the 70's.
My dad told me I didn't have to go anymore.

Funny after the flip flops conference, I did notice the footware of the sheep walking to church here change.

Posted by: European View ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 11:03AM

What an arrogant ass. Who does he think he is, knowing the mind of God, who is apparently so small minded he is 'offended' by the sight of someone attending a sacrament meeting in flip flops?

All the things in the world a loving god might be offended by, it's too casual dress which needs to be addressed. Still I expect that goes with a god who get all bent out of shape by too many earrings.

He's really petty isn't he?

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 11:13AM

The Big Boyz just sit around and recycle old topics. Guess we have to shame 'em about their wardrobe and sabbath. Next week is about "little factories". Geez, let people think for themselves already.

Date: February 22, 2012 11:19AM

I've said this before, but I have to laugh when mormons are so proud they have a living prophet. And when God speaks to his prophet, what's the most important thing on God's mind? The dress code!!! Don't wear sandals to church; wear your garments when you do yard work.

Seriously??? The economy has been in the crapper for years, people are getting slaughtered in Syria, etc., etc. And God's worrying about what people are wearing?????

The God of mormonism reminds me of the little old lady who lives in the neighborhood and spends her days sitting at her front window spying on everyone with her binoculars.

God needs to get a life!

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 01:39PM

+1

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 02:40PM

But image is everything!

Posted by: gerry1962 ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 11:24AM

1 Peter 3:3 "And let NOT your adornment be merely external-- braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; 4 but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God. 5 For in this way in former times the holy women also, who hoped in God, used to adorn themselves, being submissive to their own husbands."

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 11:25AM

if there ever was a 'jesus' I doubt he'd be welcome in a morg chapel, nowadays.

back in the 70's.... I'd been baptized for a couple of weeks.... I was told that shouldn't wear trainers to church (pretty much my only footwear at the time)
next time I went, I made sure to wear my funeral shoes (that one pair at the back of the closet that only comes out for weddings and funerals)

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 11:27AM

Not the Warner Bros. ties worn by the deacons passing the sacrament.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 12:05PM

There is a nonspecific-denomination fundie church down the street from my house. I was walking my dog with my pole dance instructor -- who is also a stripper -- past this church one night. We were checking out the shoes of all the ladies who were walking into church for their Wednesday evening service. Our observations were: "Why are all these girls dressing like they are going to the club, to go to church? Did you see that girl's shoes? They would be awesome for pole! Who wears stripper shoes to CHURCH?"

Apparently, a lot of people do.

I figured that a lot of women figure a better place to meet guys than bars is in church, so they go to church as their meat-market. So the hooker heels come out and the tight little skirts and dresses come out, but it's all good because god is love and god loves stripper heels.

Or something.

I have trouble getting past my shock that people get to choose how to dress for church. I'm stunned when people tell me they're allowed to go to church in jeans. JEANS! I suspect I could be religious if I was Episcopalian or something.

Posted by: Nole Girl ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 03:02PM

The Episcopal Church welcomes you! Seriously, I've seen my share of jeans and killer shoes over the years. Nobody really cares as long as you're there. We built a new church a few years ago and before we moved, the air conditioning in the old one was on its last legs. The lectors and chalice bearers regularly wore cutoffs or shorts under the heavy, black gabardine cassocks topped with a cotta (white overlay). This is Florida and it got to the point when I served I wore shorts, but I never got so bold as stripping to the undies like some women did. The only way I restrict myself is to make sure the shoes I wear don't squeak or clunk on the hardwood flooring at the altar.

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 12:12PM

@DogZ They day YOU go to church they need to burn the place to the ground! LOL.

I can see it now: The church of the flaming stripper heels.

OMG.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 01:57PM

LOL

I'll sit quietly and demurely in the pew, modestly dressed except for the 6" platform stillettos with the plastic fish floating around inside the clear platforms. I'll lean over to the poor person I chose to sit next to and whisper conspiratorially, "You might want to scootch over a bit. If you sit too close to me, you could get hit by some of the lightning." And then I'll give 'em a big wink.

That oughta be good for a laugh. ;>)

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 12:28PM

The end result of wearing casual clothes to church: ""they will come to despise God, and then they will despise themselves" !!!

And I like how he judged the other denomination that met in the same building. Oh, how much better the Mormons were!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 12:38PM

I believe you're referring to 1 Samuel 16:7.
also see 2 Corinthians 4:18.

'of course' those don't apply/are a Mystery to THE SAINTS...

Posted by: Laban's Head forgot her password ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 01:04PM

While leaders may give lip service to the fact that it is what is inside that is most important what they really teach is just the opposite.

Short illustration.

Years ago our bishop could not believe that our high school son was into drugs . . . . wait for it . . . . "...because he always so well-groomed."

Posted by: dclarkfan1 ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 01:16PM

My old minister didn't care what I wore inside his church, just as long as I was there.

When I left the LDS church and he heard about it, he made a point to say that again.

Looking back on the whole thing, he tried to warn me about the ways of the LDS church.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 01:26PM

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 01:32PM

Going to church in Hawaii was my favorite, flip flops and colored shirts and nice people! to bad Mormondum never caught the drift.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 02:22PM

It isn't about God. It's about image for the corporation. They throw in "thus sayeth the Lord"s when it is convenient to do so and suits their own ends.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 02:28PM

What's weird is, just last night I was looking at some pictures of my friend's daughter's wedding on FB and all the bridesmaids were wearing flip flops. I realized that several of the Mormon wedding receptions I've been to in the last year have had their bridesmaids in flip flops. This may just be where I live but is that a new trend? Don't wear flip flops to church but have them in your wedding?

I also remember right about the time I got married, a Stake Council guy gave a talk in Sacrament Meeting in my single's ward, reeming the Single Adults about the pictures in the wedding announcements. He said when announcing that they were going to take out sacred ordinances in the temple of the Lord, people should be dressed appropriately for the solemness of the occasion. He talked about how he was appalled that people dressed casually in these photos - girls wore pants and boys weren't dressed in a tie and white shirt, appropriately for sacrament meeting. This was before the flip flop announcement but I'm sure he would have been horrified by those too.

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 02:36PM

People usually wear suits or shirts with ties and the women dresses, but some women wear pants and some men no suit or ties and nobody makes a stink about it. The Bishop has an extra tie in his office if someone wants to perform the sacrament.
Members often bring non-member friends who dont dress up.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 02:47PM

anonow Wrote:

+1

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 02:48PM

Agreed - definitely a different culture than in Utah. It varies from ward to ward anywhere though. My sister lives about 1/2 an hour away from me and her bishop lets a boy who has shoulder length hair pass the sacrament. I was surprised when I saw this because Bishop Jackwagon would NEVER let a kid with an improper haircut be involved in the sacrament. My sister said that her bishop decided it was more important to keep this kid involved than to be picky about appearances.

My SIL lives half an hour away from me in the other direction and her bishop is the one grilling my nephew about masturbation. Bishop Jackwagon, despite his many failings, never gets that personal in a youth interview - he only asks if people are keeping the law of chastity. Not only is it a serious problem that the church has nothing better to do than nit-pick it's members, it's equally appalling that each bishop has such a wide latitude in how much nit-picking they do.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 02:47PM

Once when I was a teacher I was told I couldn’t pass the sacrament because I had a non-white shirt. Yet the first counselor’s son was allowed to pass even though he’d been smoking pot the night before.
It’s all about the image.

Posted by: LCMc ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 03:20PM

Mormons should take a look at what people wear to the Catholic church in Santa Cruz, CA. THey'd have a stroke.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 03:41PM

I always wear a black shirt with my black pants when I go to a farewell, homecoming, or baby blessing. I look good in it. I feel like Johnny Cash.

Posted by: reasonabledoubt ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 04:33PM

I always wear flip-flops (weather permitting) to sac. meeting that I attend for my wife's sake. My nice A&F leather ones. I always say "If they were good enough for Jesus, they're good enough for me!" I also call them "Jesus sne.akers."

Here's a joke I thought of while still active -- "What kind of shoes did Jesus wear on his way up to Gethsemene? Cross-trainers."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 04:34PM by reasonabledoubt.

Posted by: Apple ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 05:18PM

"Our temples and meetinghouses are dedicated to the Lord as sacred space."

"As immodest dress dishonors the body—God’s most sacred creation—immodest, casual, or sloppy dress and grooming at sacred times and places mocks the sacredness of the Lord’s house and what is taking place."

So....if the meetinghouse is sacred (apparently on par with the temple), why is it an open place of worship and why is he talking about it?

Date: February 22, 2012 05:36PM

If the body is God's most sacred creation, why do so many mormons treat their bodies so badly? I used to work at the hospital in Provo, and I'd laugh at all the mormons who came in for open heart surgery - morbidly obese, high blood pressure, diabetic, etc., etc. By but dern they'd obeyed the word of wisdon their whole lives - not a drop of coffee or alcohol!

If mormons treated their meeting houses the same way the took care of themselves, the roofs would be leaking, walls caving in, rats running everywhere, rotting garbage in the corners ...

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 05:31PM

I've felt alot more spiritual wile skyclad than wile keeping to all those mormie rules.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 05:39PM

i have never worn mormon underwear, but when i think of all the underwear people wear to church. i go to church without underwear. i love it. always panty free at church!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.