Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 03:38PM

I never heard through church channels that there were issues with members inapropriately baptizing jews. Neither did I hear what the policy on submitting names was. In fact, it seems that sometimes we were told to submit names when there was even one name available and no last name or vice versa. We were told to submit, submit, submit, details would be worked out in heaven. I think once I heard someone made a joke about Elvis Presley being baptized but no chastising to members to avoid such things.

I did hear about proxiy baptisms of holocust victism from the exmo sites and the news but never a big deal was made of it at church. Even now there is on ldschurchnews.org a blurb about how the submitters of these names may have their access to the system cut off, or maybe be disciplined further. I still have not heard anything about it from the church channels. Shouldn't the church send a letter to be read in sacrament meetings so that members will know the seriousness of this matter and the consequences to face if the policies are not followed? If this is as serious as the PR makes it sounds, shouldn't members be informed?

One of my biggest disappointments in the church is how some issues are dealt with in secrecy, there is no open communication. However, trivial matters like two earrings, wearing garments while doing yard work and such are discussed as if there were a matter of life and death.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 03:44PM

There is a family history class that members are supposed to take in each ward that teaches all these dos and don'ts. But partipation and the existance of these classes varies depending on where you live. I am sure some formal letter will be coming from the GAs about this to be read in church. They have made formal statements to the press about it already.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 04:03PM

It's another "lie for the Lord" that the GAs tell on a routine basis.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 04:19PM

wrote a column about this back in the 1990s. I wonder if it is archived.

He worked at the genealogy library I guess doing "extractions" and he posted a letter in the GL about not doing work for some other nationality (after the first issues with Jewish baptisms for the dead) as a joke and there was a lot of talk going on about it. When he revealed the joke, the people were furious at him. He pointed out that mormons aren't able to laugh at themselves.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 07:49PM

...it's just spin doctoring. They aren't serious about stopping the practice. Gotta do those names!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 07:57PM

on a Practical basis... How Would ChurchCo Know if so-and-so was a Holo surviver?

maybe even... what someone's religion was?

just sayin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 08:28PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 08:11PM

Also, if they stop the practice for Jews or Holocaust survivors, doesn't that in itself prove their church a lie? I mean their doctrine is to do all this proxy work for the dead (Every single one of them). So they are saying then that this set of people will never have the chance to go to their phony celestial kingdom?

I am NOT saying that they should continue this silly dead dunking and other proxy work for the dead. It’s all made up to begin with! I just don’t get why the members aren’t leaving in droves. If you look at the comments on the Huffington Post piece alone, it outs them big time!

Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 08:20PM

"if they stop the practice for Jews or Holocaust survivors, doesn't that in itself prove their church a lie? I mean their doctrine is to do all this proxy work for the dead (Every single one of them)."

Nope it just means they can put them on hold until the millennium and do them at that time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.