Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: I saw the light ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 05:49PM

Why is it that Mormons get so upset when their Church's claim to being Christian is questioned. I think it's perfectly reasonable to come to the conclusion that Mormonism is not the same as biblical Christianity when one considers its unorthodox theology, its pronouncements and teachings over time and its differing meaning and interpretation of Christian terminology.

Mormonism, over most of its history, has vigorously distanced and distinguished itself from biblical Christianity, yet now it seeks to join the fold. Any attempt to highlight the glaring contradictions and theological problems is met with cries of intolerance and labelled bigotry.

Mormons are quick to point out that they have the name of Jesus Christ in their title, what further proof is needed that they are Christian? Well, Kentucky Fried Chicken has a reference to chickens in its title but it is most definitely no friend or beneficent supporter of chickens (sorry, is that a bit too far a stretch? Hope I haven't lost you).

Mormons expect everyone to blindly accept their Christianity without their own willingness to accept the Christianity of others. Are Mormons the only true Christians? Are there no other Christians on the face of the earth? Why don't they accept the baptism of other Christian faiths? Why rebaptize the living and the dead? Why aren't the ordinances performed by other Christian churches, not valid in their eyes. According to the Mormon Church countless millions have no claim to valid marriages or expressions of faith. Is it really true that Pope John Paul II was necro dunked and made a Mormon? How insulting is that to Catholics and what about all the people of other faiths whose ancestors have secretly and without permission been baptized in Mormon temples?

The answer to these questions is of course found in the theology that makes Mormonism so unlike other Christian faiths. So its a case of accept our Christianity but don't ask us to accept yours. Your faith is, as Joseph smith stated so clearly in his first vision, an abomination in God's sight, far removed from God.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 05:55PM

as christianity is from judaism, or islam is from judaism.

Mormonism may have its ROOTS in christianity, but it is very, VERY different...

Posted by: chimes ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 06:00PM

the LDS faith is not Christian at all, theologically speaking. They embrace an anthropocentric God who is merely an exalted man with a body of flesh. He has parents, grandparents, literal children; and he advanced to BECOME God through a process of gaining the requisite knowledge and wisdom. He is obviously NOT the creator of all. Such a concept is heretical to Bible christianity.

Only in a moral sense can Mormons rightly claim to be "Christian".

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 06:01PM

when I rag on marments (for very valid reasons) people look at me in my position in my church, et al and think I'm intolerant or hypocritical.

but my point is I don't rag on other denominations or Catholics or orthos. why, because they tend to leave me and others alone.

but the marments struck first. they made it their business to tell me how to run my scout troop. and said decision costs us boocoo money from people who would otherwise be willing to support local inner city scouting if the national organization hadn't declared itself a hate group. as a result, those companies and foundations have it in their own by-laws that they cannot support us.

so yeah, I rag on marments. Dallin Oakes took pride in saying that it was the marments who kicked the gays out of scouting. But people think I'm the intolorant religious bigot.

they can blow me.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 06:05PM

The problem is that Mormons believe they are 'Biblical Christianity' restored.

Mormons claim their doctrines of Mormonsim were supposedly once accurately portrayed in the bible but crafty scribes or the catholic church etc corrupted them or removed them etc and Smith just restored them all.

As far as they are concerned they are biblical.

I've been listening to Catholic Apologetics the last few years and they believe they are biblical! :) though Protestants would claim not.

You said

"According to the Mormon Church countless millions have no claim to valid marriages or expressions of faith"

Yes thats exactly right! Mormons say the 'til death us do part' invalidates the marriage after death. That brings my point then as to why do Mormon Widowed women remarry in this life if they believe they are married 'eternally' to the first husband and death has not parted them but just created a waiting period before reuniting. It's effectively adultery by their own marriage for eternity reasoning.

At least my widowed catholic mum won't remarry for the very reason she feels it would be being unfaithful to her deceased husband. I find her conviction more impressive than Mormons in that respect.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 10:16PM

Mormons are Christian in the same sense that sewer rats are mammals. There's a tiny amount of nurture for infants. For others there's chewing and gnawing.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: February 22, 2012 10:33PM

if any entity was exclusive right about any process, the claims of others as failures would mean practically nothing.
MORmONISM'S rant responses to being labled non christian by christians only prove that MORmONISM is a grand fraud.
MORmONS claim to have the only true Christian religion as a restoration.... that can't even begin to keep up with the hopelessly apostate original when it comes to spreading the supposedly critical message of Christ. As well MORmONISM is riddled and tainted with the corruption of institutional racism, institutional adultery mislabeled as polygamy, and mass murder just as a start of its major fruits that are nt so good.

Nice *restoration* (of the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ) there, MORmONS!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.