Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: josephsmyth ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 06:12AM

Are there ExMuslims, ExJewish, Ex(38,000 different Christian sects), equivalents of ExMo's?

Are there actual communities of ExMembers of certain faiths?
If not, why Not? If the DAMU is really the only major community of ExMembers of a religion, then why is it ExMormons who gather together in some kind of community?

Is it because it is such a controlling mind fnck that it takes a hell of a lot of work to reconcile?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 08:34AM

Actually, there is a website for ex-Muslims. There is also one for Scientologist, and Jehovah's Witnesses. I even found one the other day for ex-Christian Scientist (the nutty religion, not actual scientist who happened to Christian)

There does not seem to be such communities for the more mainstream religions.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 08:57AM

And ex-Catholics and ex-Christians. Yep. There are lots of "ex" groups. It's nice to be with people who understand where you've been, where you are now, and where you're trying to go.

Posted by: JMadsen ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 09:41AM

http://reform-network.net/?p=5301

Nothing unique about ex-religious org. thinking/postulating.

Posted by: Apple ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 10:12AM

Does anyone know of an ex-catholic site that is like RFM? The only ones I have ever found are all about trying to convert them.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 11:17AM

Go to your local unitarian church and check it out for yourself. It's uncanny.

Posted by: Backseater (30-year UU) ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 09:06AM

Posted by: NYNeverMo ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 01:30PM

Good observation. The reason that there are no (or not many) ex-episcopalian sites, or ex-presbyterian or ex-methodist sites,etc is due to the structure of those mainstream religions. You can just leave, or join. Even when I converted from Roman Catholicism to the episcopal church I had to call my baptising parish (for a baptism certificate) and there were no questions. I attended the Episcopal Church for 6 years before I officially joined, and I did that only so I could be a voting member for Parish business. Being a mormon is more than just following a set of religious practices, from what I read of your experiences...it's more cultural and historical. And the rigid group mentality of the followers and the absolutism is what makes it cultic and therefore more difficult to leave.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 01:52PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.