Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 10:26PM

..No I didn't go to a Sunday church serivice but a friend of mine (also nonmo) invited me to his son's Eagle Scout ceremony.

I went and observed. Of course as this is Utah, the mormon church is heavily involved in Scouts...

Anyway my friend's son as did 2 other kids got their Eagle Scout rank...a big deal for which I am proud of all the kids for getting..

Anyway, I go to this church and the ceremony is on the basketball court...a very NICE court, with an electronic scoreboard. I still don't understand why I couldn't use a church court for my B-Ball team of 11yr olds...but I digress.

The bishop gets up, explains the program and we get started...with a church hymn..."choirally" directed by the bishop's wife who looked like she was just going through the motions and didn't care. The hymn finishes and the bishop says a prayer (which I expected as the Scouts all over the country put a big focus on God). Anyway this bishop DURING his prayer says..."we are so grateful and blessed to by a part of "The Church". While the bishop felt this to be a good prayer, I found it very insulting.

Next the Scout leader (1st counselor) says one blurb about each kid. I wanted to hear various accomplishmentS of each kid, not one blurb..

The ceremony ends with a FIVE minute prayer where the guy praying wanted to make sure he had ALL his bases convered for who he was asking to be blessed. I fully expected to hear..."and bless mommy, and daddy and grandma, and granpa, and aunt sally"..etc. Very weird. Also this guy mentioned being "christian" and all. A big change from the olden days I beleive where mormons were..well MORMON, nor christian

And yes...at the dinner hour when this took place they had the usual mormon sweets. I left and went out to eat for a good and healthy meal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 24, 2012 11:25PM

Yeah... Sounds about right. Christmas programs are much the same. Very uneventful and lacking in emotion. They stuck my tiny little daughter directly behind a "big Dolores". Could her grandma and grandpa who came to watch see her at all? Nope!
My marriage ceremony done by the bishop took less than 5 minutes. My dad and his wife travelled by car from California to AZ for a short and unspecial ceremony. That was 10 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 11:26PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: February 25, 2012 10:54AM

I gotta say this was one of the most uninspiring group of people I've "worshiped" with and next to. Catholic priests who have theology training do a much better job.

And to refer to the mormon marrying the nonmormon thread.
First it's absolutely deplorable that a bishop would deny a lifelong mormon of marrying in a mormon church.
2nd...people have mentioned the RS society room and the activites room (B-Ball court?) at the church as a room to get married in. My question is..Why not the main chapel??

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.